Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Player Error - Poker Ettiquite

I had an interesting situation happen last night playing in a local card club at a 2-4 Hold'em table.

I don't remember all of the details of the hand, but the board looked something like:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I was holding A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button.

Since I made the nut straight on the turn, I begin to bet and raise as much as I could. (The players at the table seldom folded.)

On the river, there were three of us left. It was checked around to me, so I bet 4. The next player raised to 8 all-in. The player to my right then put 12 chips in.

As I was getting ready to re-raise, he realized that he only needed 8 to call. The dealer announced that he raised, and said that he only wanted to call. The dealer said that it was my decision as to whether he could pull his raise back or not.

What should I have done in this situation? While it is true that he should have announced what he wanted to do, and that I have every right to keep the money in the pot, it is also true that at such a low stakes table, you can't expect people to play perfectly. Should I stick it to him because he screwed up, or should I allow him to take it back because I truly believe it was unintentional?

Results in white:

<font color="white">
Although I enjoy playing poker, the primary goal is to win money. Like the A-hole that I am, I re-raised him. Of course, with so much in the pot, he called and I won a pretty hefty pot. However, I did feel a little bad and told him I was sorry, but I felt that I had to do it.
</font>