Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Putting myself in a precarious position

Villan is a solid 2+2er, originally thought that she might be a little bit on the weak tight side but has proven me wrong. I have played a fair amount against villan lately so I'm sure she has me down in the 30/20ish range. She has been 3 betting my CO open raises fairly lightly (A6o) so I decided not to cap preflop.

30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>
Old 11-05-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Putting myself in a precarious position

I'd just call down after the 3-bet.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:10 AM

I think you just make the call.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Why didnīt you checkraise the flop? If you donīt intend to CR this flop you need to cap preflop, especially since he might very well check behind the turn here with lots of hands...
Old 11-05-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She has been 3 betting my CO open raises fairly lightly (A6o) so I decided not to cap preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you listening to yourself?? We make money off others' mistakes. Thus, CAP PREFLOP. If you don't, you're essentially fighting thru the rest of the hand to make up the bet you missed preflop. And now the problem is we're not sure whether *Hero* is the one making the mistakes postflop.

call down after she 3-bets the turn.

Adam
Old 11-05-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She has been 3 betting my CO open raises fairly lightly (A6o) so I decided not to cap preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you listening to yourself?? We make money off others' mistakes. Thus, CAP PREFLOP. If you don't, you're essentially fighting thru the rest of the hand to make up the bet you missed preflop. And now the problem is we're not sure whether *Hero* is the one making the mistakes postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. She reraises lightly so our edge is even larger than usual. So we miss a larger fraction of a bet by not capping.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We make money off others' mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising light and making a mistake are not necessarily the same thing. This isn't some 50/30 maniac, this is a solid player who I'm currently playing against at two tables and will probably continue to play against. From an EV standpoint of course you cap preflop, but this was more for metagame purposes and that everytime that I do not cap preflop doesn't necessarily mean, it's not a premium hand. I cap this almost everytime so I don't think it's a mistake not to cap once in a blue moon.

My post was more geared towards the best way to play it post flop after not capping, because it's a relatively straight forward hand to play if you cap. Which like an someone has already mentioned that i think I have to raise the flop and take it from there.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:10 PM

1. You don't need to cap preflop because you know you can get it back by checkraising the flop versus this player. Smoothcalling makes your hand harder to read and could induce a big mistake postflop.

2. You are probably only entitled to one raise with a JJT flop before you begin calling down. You don't need to checkraise the flop if you think you can checkraise the turn when you are ahead. But given the board and your description of Villain I don't know why you would think that. I would checkraise the flop.

3. You can't slowplay and then fold when you get the action you were hoping for. You are locked into calling this down.