Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Flopped nut straight on monotone board.

I think I played it well, but I'm curious as to what people make of the flop miniraise, and if this should sound alarm bells in people's heads.

$25 nl 6-max.
Hero with $22.50
Villian 1 with $23
Villian 2 with $2.20

Hero dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the sb.
4 limpers, I call, bb checks.

Flop ($1.50) is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets $2. bb folds, utg folds, villian 1 miniraises to $4, Villian 2 calls all-in. Hero calls $2.

Plan here was to call the raise and evaluate on turn, fold if it's a heart.

Turn $10ish. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets $10. Villan 1 calls $10.

River $30 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets $8.65 all-in. Villian 1 calls.

Showdown:
<font color="white">
QuoFun: shows [Kh 7h] (A Flush, King high)
Emre1212: shows [Ks Tc] (A Straight, King high)
Harmon!ca: shows [Kc Qc] (A Straight, King high)
QuoFun collected $38.81 from Side pot #1
QuoFun collected $7 from Main pot
</font>

Simple right?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Flopped nut straight on monotone board.

His flop minraise was to get more money out of you while disguising his hand as a drawing hand.

I c/f the turn.

I would consider leading for half pot on the river, if the turn is checked back. I probably fold to a raise though.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:42 PM

You should assign each of your opponents has up to a 36.72% chance of having two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s in the hole with three [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s on the flop. The percentage will come down if you assume that a few opponents of your opponents have one heart.

If each of your five opponents has a 36.72% chance of having a two hearts, than it is very probable (indeed, it is almost certain) that your nut straight is beat.

With so many limpers, you may have wanted to raise in the small blind. K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is not the stongest hand, but it will hold up more often with less players. The bad news is you are first to act on all future betting rounds.

You bet over the size of the pot and were you re-raised smally. A small raise usually means someone wants a call, especially at a small stakes table. You may want to call to see how the raiser plays the turn and river, but you definitely do not want to throw any more money in this pot.

You had pot odds to call (and perhaps raise) with your hole cards, so it made sense to take a stab at it. It stopped making sense to continue playing it after the flop.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should assign each of your opponents has up to a 36.72% chance of having two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s in the hole with three [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s on the flop. The percentage will come down if you assume that a few opponents of your opponents have one heart.

If each of your five opponents has a 36.72% chance of having a two hearts, than it is very probable (indeed, it is almost certain) that your nut straight is beat.

With so many limpers, you may have wanted to raise in the small blind. K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is not the stongest hand, but it will hold up more often with less players. The bad news is you are first to act on all future betting rounds.

You bet over the size of the pot and were you re-raised smally. A small raise usually means someone wants a call, especially at a small stakes table. You may want to call to see how the raiser plays the turn and river, but you definitely do not want to throw any more money in this pot.

You had pot odds to call (and perhaps raise) with your hole cards, so it made sense to take a stab at it. It stopped making sense to continue playing it after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My math is way off here, so ignore this math advice. I will re-do when I have the time. The small raise wanting a call holds.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM

Your post title is off. You did not flop the nut straight. You flopped a draw to a straight. When there is a flush on the board why would you be drawing at a straight?

Muck this draw when you see the flop.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 PM

Sorry the Q hearts was a nine hearts. corrected it for the turn. I see what you all mean by the miniraise, should have thought about that a little more.

Is the maths for the two suited cards with 3 on the flop and none in hand: 10/47*9/46? About 5% I think
Old 11-17-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry the Q hearts was a nine hearts. corrected it for the turn. I see what you all mean by the miniraise, should have thought about that a little more.

Is the maths for the two suited cards with 3 on the flop and none in hand: 10/47*9/46? About 5% I think

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little less, I really don't know what I did wrong in my first reply.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM

What are you "evalutating" if you blindly push in more than half your remaining stack on a blank turn?