Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Home game: Did I play it wrong?

Played a Home game last night 20 dollar max buy in 1.00-.50 blinds. (the blinds are pretty high for the buyin)

6 people in the game, 3 of them loose and aggressive, 1 (whose usually good) is on tilt and playin to loose, 1 tight and passive, and one tight and aggressive probably the best player there.

Im up about $80 and can out play almost any1 there, I have a reputation of being tight, which greatly benifits me becuase I can steal many pots.

In middle position and get A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I raise and make it $4 to go, 1 loose player calls and the tight aggressive player calls. Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I check the tight aggressive player checks and the loose player raises $5. I new this was a steal and reraised $10 (check raises scare him off quite quickly). To my surprise the tight aggressive player calls, the loose player folds.

the turn comes a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check the tight agressive player bets out $5. I figure hes got ethier AA, KK, Qx, and he doesnt want me to see the river for free if im on a flush draw. So I now I have the oppertunity to bluff if it falls. since the pot was over $40 I called.

the river came 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check he bets out 5, I reraise $15. He thinks about it for about 5 minutes, it was clearly ripping him up inside. He comes seconds away from folding, but finally calls me down. I show my Ace high he shows KK.

Was this the right place to make a move? I considered pushing all in but it was only $10 more for him so figured if he could call $15 he could call $25. Maybe I should have just layed it down after he called my raise on the flop? Is there any other way I could have taken that pot down? The player who it was against said he though it was a great bet, but that he just had to call he had a "feeling".
------
Down to about $40. Next hand I get AKs. I bet out $5 the play whose ion tilt (he was playin so many bad hands) goes allin for $7 more. Even though he was on tilt i was feeling it was QQ or better, but it was just 7 more to find out i call.

He had KK. no help on the board for me and now im down to $30.
-------
2 hands down the road I get KK.

Im on the button and the tight aggressive player bets out $5, I reraise 5 to see how good his hand is, and out of no where one of the loose players reraise allin $10 more.

the tight player folds (he later tells me he had 10 10). I call the allin and the loose player flips over AA. I was about to rip my hair out.

Is there any way to avoid this?
I think it was inevitable. I can only remeber 1 time I have ever layed down KK preflop and it was to an ultra tight player (who later showed me KK so all i would have won were half the blinds). Maybe his loose play blinded me from the fact that he was showing tell after tell he acted weak the whole time and tried to act like it was a hard decsion to push all his chips in (even though he did it immedately).

Any thoughs. It was one tough night, I fought back and ended up $10, but i was up so much more.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Home game: Did I play it wrong?

with that bluff on the river when the flush fell, its a great play against a player who is capable of folding a hand like kk there, they have to be very good and very tight to be able to do that, and with a player that tight cold calling those raises, i think it might be a good idea to just back off immediately and no try to take a pot from him, i dont think the few times that he has a hand hell fold will make up for the amount of money youll lose when he doesnt.

kk vs aa, yeah its inevitable, and it is almost always incorrect to fold kings preflop in a cash game. theres just one hand that can have you beaten, and since people will play kk, qq, and ak preflop like aa, its just not worth folding kk preflop, especially in a game like this when youre not playing against what seem to be really strong players.

pretty much the same deal with aks, you can usually feel pretty good getting all your money in preflop with it.