Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Mind Games (baseball prospectus book)

Just got it in the mail. At first skim, it looks like it will have enough to keep anyone who reads it interested. Hopefully I can get Toro to read it so he can become more acclimiated with how us geeks think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I will post here as I read it, as a ongoing review.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Mind Games (baseball prospectus book)

Does the whole book come off as annoyingly sanctimonious as the book description from amazon.com? I was really looking forward to this book until I read that. Now I don't really have much interest. I don't need to preached to from their high horses.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Mind Games (baseball prospectus book)

[ QUOTE ]
Does the whole book come off as annoyingly sanctimonious as the book description from amazon.com? I was really looking forward to this book until I read that. Now I don't really have much interest. I don't need to preached to from their high horses.

[/ QUOTE ]

only through 1/6th of the book or so but it seems like they are usuing the fact that the red sox orginization is run with a sabermetric philosophy to have a platform to speak about advanced statistics and the affect they are having on the game.

i wouldn't call it preachy, but they really don't seem to attempt to soften the blow for readers who may still think that a walk is not that important and RBI's will tell you about a players value. which is good, since the converted will already know that stuff.

while they use the red sox moves as the reason to discuss advanced statistics, its not a red sox fan book. they dispel the 'curse' as nothing more than awful management and not so discreet racism.

they discussed the trade and debunked the notion (somewhat popular among the mediots in this region) that the red sox were better off without a-rod.

i love it so far. its moneyball part 2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]