Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Moving to Hawaii

Say that a player is beating PP15 for 2BB/100, 4tabling 25 hours a week. He wants to move to Hawaii and play poker for a living down there.

How much money do you think he would need to start with in order for him to live comfortably, while maintaining a proper bankroll, along with being able to fly out to visit family once or twice a year? Let's assume that he will rent a 2BR apartment.

It doesn't have to be in one of the more expensive parts of the island, as long as he lives in a populated area.

What do you think his monthly expenses would be?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Moving to Hawaii

I'm from a rural part of Oahu, and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that you better be crushing those games you're playing to live comfortably there.

Doesn't help that the median home price is over half a mil now- http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...1/daily43.html . Apartments are real expensive too. That said, it's possible. Difficult, but possible.

But it's just the price of paradise. Can't wait to go back for good.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:24 AM

Drink much milk? I've seen milk at Safeway for over $6 a gallon.

I don't know apartments there well but other things - food, gas etc are quite expensive. My guess is that you could get a decent place somewhere more rural and live reasonably cheap. Perhaps you should look into housing on the big island.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:25 AM

Not many cows on the islands?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:30 AM

Not sure. I've seen cows there and I've heard quite a few Hawaiian songs about local cowboys but I doubt that there is enough milk being produced to sustain the entire islands. I'm quite sure that's true for O'ahu it's possible there are larger farms on some outer islands.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 AM

What happened to Atlantic City?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:41 AM

atlantic city is the safe route, and the route ill most likely take. hawaii definitely sounds like the place id rather live though. its definitely unlikely ill be able to live out the dream, at least any time soon, but would like to know if its at least possible.

i dont drink much milk, the women down there produce breastmilk right? that should be enough to hold me over.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 AM

mostly beef cattle. not many dairys there.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 AM

a whole lot depends on what you mean by "live comfortably". do you want to buy a house or rent? do you want to go out and party a lot or are you more into cheaper entertainment (hiking, biking, surfing, etc).
if that's a sustainable win rate, you can do alright there. do you have something to fall back on later, or do you plan to play internet poker for the rest of your life? There's no legalized gambling there, so B&M play isn't an option.

that said, I'm from a pretty rural part of Oahu as well, and I think you can find a decent 3 br house for 400k. everything gets more expensive as you get closer to town (except for destination locations like the mansions on the beach on the north shore, etc).
also, how committed are you to playing? there are going to be a lot of days when you look outside, think about the waves and want to say screw it for the poker for the day.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 AM

definitely renting. i plan on playing poker for a while, but i definitely want to put myself in a position where i can retire early through another field. if my entire profit of poker is going to be spent on monthly expenses, then it aint worth it. if my monthly expenses surpass 6k then thats too much imo.