Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 06:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: HU AK Hand

folding seems completely ridiculous to me. there's plenty of draws he could be betting, or he could have a hand like AJ or AQ. I'd just call 3 times
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do we have a heart [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

This affects whether I want to call or raise the flop. Against this player I can't see folding to a flop bet whether we have a heart or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't love raising there. you force yourself to either overplay your hand or to make it apparent. he very well might 3-bet, putting you in a bind. even if I had a pocket pair, I'd clal the flop and turn and raise the river. calling the flop and turn with the intention of claling the river would be my plan with AK and it gives him no additional information as to what I'm holding.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:39 AM

I assume we have no reads, since if we knew this player to be passive, it might be more advisable to call the flop and not proceed after the turn card UI.

Against an unknown, anyone like this?

Raise the flop. In position on the turn, check behind unimproved. Check / call the river.

We fold to a 3-bet on the flop or even a turn donk.

I think this line allows us to get to showdown most cheaply with an UI hand, while allowing us to hopefully hit one of our overcards on the turn or river.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 AM

i don't see how raising at any point gets you to a showdown UI cheaper than just calling down.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see how raising at any point gets you to a showdown UI cheaper than just calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you raise the flop and then check behind on the turn you save your self .5BB. Instead of calling down (2.5BB) you raise the flop for the free card on the turn and call his river bet (2BB)
Old 08-30-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you raise the flop and then check behind on the turn you save your self .5BB. Instead of calling down (2.5BB) you raise the flop for the free card on the turn and call his river bet (2BB)

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kidding yourself if you think that raising won't sometimes result in getting 3-bet or donkbetted. on average i'd say raising will cost more, not less to show down.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 AM

I don't mind calling down unless the board becomes really gross (4 flushes and 4 card straights).

You can't fold these all the time. You can't call down all the time with a missed A-K either, so you pick your spots. This is a good spot to call.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When in position, raising the flop could stop someone from betting turn in front of us with a less than nut hand, so we're spending an extra small bet on the flop to save us calling a big bet on the turn. If we're 3-bet on the flop or donked on the turn, it's a lot easier to fold AK in this spot as well, no?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When in position, raising the flop could stop someone from betting turn in front of us with a less than nut hand, so we're spending an extra small bet on the flop to save us calling a big bet on the turn. If we're 3-bet on the flop or donked on the turn, it's a lot easier to fold AK as well, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When in position, raising the flop could stop someone from betting turn in front of us with a less than nut hand, so we're spending an extra small bet on the flop to save us calling a big bet on the turn. If we're 3-bet on the flop or donked on the turn, it's a lot easier to fold AK as well, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Why "no" please?