Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-30-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Which Site?

Flamers, forgive me. I'm sure this is getting to be an odious question, but... I'm wondering which site to recommend to a friend who's looking to make a deposit online. He's played on Stars occasionally, but seems to dislike the frequency of the bad beats so he's searching for a new site. He plays anywhere from .25-.50 NL ring games to $5 SNGs. He occasionally likes to dabble in non-hold 'em games, so game variety is a plus. Also, he has a dial-up connection and is worried about a site that doesn't support that as much. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated... Thanks guys.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Which Site?

Stars is not the cause of the bad beats, poker is.

Every other site will have exactly the same beats.

Tell "your friend" to remain at Stars due to their snazzy new VIP program. Party is also a good site, but only due to the volume of bad players (which won't be much help to your friend considering he probably is one of them).
Old 12-30-2005, 01:49 AM

I'm guessing your the friend, but I prefer party to stars. For 5 dollar sng's pacific is cool. their tourneys in general are good
Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 AM

First, the big sites are all fair. As you learn more about the game, you will understand that variance is a huge part of poker. That said, I'd refer someone to Stars because that's were I started playing and were I won my first couple K. It also has the best micro-limits on the net. I'm sure you'll hear a lot of people say Party, but I would never refer anyone there.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 AM

Thanks for the confidence, guys, but I am NOT the friend... I enjoy Stars just fine, just trying to do a (real) friend a service here...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's played on Stars occasionally, but seems to dislike the frequency of the bad beats so he's searching for a new site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had a surprising bad luck streak on Stars for about 14 months. I'm sure it's just variance though. Or maybe not.

I think your friend is right to look elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 AM

If micros are his thing, he should stick with stars.

Except for the begginners tables, there's nothing lower than .5/1 on party. Also, he'd be paying a 20% vig on $5 sngs.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:49 AM

How bout Ultimate Bet? My husband plays lots of low limit there, they have good game selection, good bonuses and I think the refer-a-friend is good too.

Plus if he downloads Ultimate Buddy, he can watch for when Phil Helmuth gets on, hahahaha! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-S&SGW
Old 12-30-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's played on Stars occasionally, but seems to dislike the frequency of the bad beats so he's searching for a new site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had a surprising bad luck streak on Stars for about 14 months. I'm sure it's just variance though. Or maybe not.

I think your friend is right to look elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I've changed my mind. Everyone how reads this should stay the hell away from stars especially if you play 3/6 or 5/10 6m.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 PM

I probably should chime in here. I am indeed "the friend", and my big beef with stars is that I think the quality of play there is by far worse than anywhere else. Ive played at party, stars, royal vegas, and pokerroom. I like the options stars gives you, but I think all these newbies see the advertisements on espn and what not, and qucikly jump to stars. My problem with stars isnt the poker-initiated bad beats, its the pricks who call preflop with j-7 offsuit after I quintuple the big blind with KK, and then get beat. Thats my main problem, but I've since moved to full tilt, and I haven't had much problems yet.