Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Omawho Turn Play

Party $400. 8-handed at the time I think.

Stacks/reads:

SB - $1050. Very loose limper preflop, has shown down some really weak hands. Usually waits til the turn to get aggressive. Has hit a couple hands recently but had a decent sized stack when I sat down.
BB - $260. Really bad player. Loose, mostly passive but aggressive in bad spots. Will call down with a lot. Has rebought a couple times so far.
LMP - $475. Haven't seen a lot out of this player. Has limp/called raises preflop then check/folded the flop a couple times. Seems weak.
CO - $320. Very aggressive player. Plays a lot, pretty decent, but too aggressive.
Hero/Button - $250.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: CO posts BB and dead SB. Folded to LMP who open-limps, CO checks, I raise pot to $22, SB calls, BB calls, LMP folds, CO calls.

Flop ($91): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me I bet pot 91, SB calls, BB folds, CO folds.

Turn (182): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I have 123 left and...?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Omawho Turn Play

Tough spot.

Logically the SB wouldn't be calling your flop bet with a set against that many opponents and on that board.

I assume you are up against a similar wrap draw. If he has picked up the flush draw then you are probably getting a call. If he doesn't have a flush draw then I can't see him calling your turn bet without a boat.

I would check behind and make a decision on the river. I'm folding to a pot bet if the board flushes. I'm calling if I hit my straight.

If its a "blank" then I make a decision. I don't think you are pot commited in this spot. If I had half the pot left in my stack then I just push.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 AM

With a bigger stack I would bet this turn, but as a shorty you're in a trickier spot. I agree with ipp147's recommendation to check behind. You don't gain a lot with a 2/3 pot push with nothing left for the river. And if I were foe I wouldn't read too much weakness into you checking the turn, since given your stack you'd have little to lose by giving a free card had you actually turned a boat. If foe shows down KQJ9 then you can commence teeth-gnashing.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM

You must have more than 123 left. You had 320 at the start of the hand have made bets of 22 and 91.

If your image has any strength to it all (ie your not perceived as an LAG on tilt right now) and I know he can make a laydown, I would bet big here. Unless he has a 5, JJ or TT, he will usually laydown JT, his draw, or his overpair.

The pot is big enough to make a play for IMO. Sometimes you run into the nuts, that life. But the bet has to be big, cause you must rule out a counterbluff.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must have more than 123 left. You had 320 at the start of the hand have made bets of 22 and 91.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP had 250 to start. CO had 320. (line above Hero)

This is a tough spot, but I also like the push. Your opponent isn't likely to have a set and may lay down a draw similar to yours or top two with the open pair on the board. If he flat called your flop bet with JJ, TT or a 5, make a note and make it back from him at a later date.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:05 PM

I think the amount to bet here is pretty flexible. 1/4 pot, 1/2 pot, full pot will likely get villain to fold if he doesn't have a boat. An equally good alternative is checking here, then betting the river if checked to, or raising any weak bet by villain. You've got position, so use it.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the amount to bet here is pretty flexible. 1/4 pot, 1/2 pot, full pot will likely get villain to fold if he doesn't have a boat. An equally good alternative is checking here, then betting the river if checked to, or raising any weak bet by villain. You've got position, so use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, I think betting less is generally not a good idea.

So you bet 1/2 the pot, villain smells weakness and comes over the top all-in with top two. Wouldn't that suck?

OR, he calls, you make your straight, and he bets 1/2 the pot or all-in. Wouldn't that suck also?

If you are going to bet less than the pot you need to have established a history with the villain as one who makes smaller value bets with the nuts. Otherwise I think you are spewing and you may as well give up the pot now.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:46 PM

I think I'd opt for the push in this spot. If you had a deep stack then a check to keep the pot small and decision on the river would be called for. But as it stands if you check you are going to induce a bet on the river card most of the time I think. Then you have to make a calling decision, you have taked the lead from the start of the hand no reason to stop now.

I'd push my $123 in and hope for the best. He may lay down a str8 wrap like yourse or top 2.