Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Building a bankroll while you\'re young....

Wouldn't it be easier for someone who has absolutely ZERO expenses and ALOT of time on their hands to become professional at poker at an early age so by the time they graduate they have the bankroll necessary to be playing high stakes?

All these articles and such I see about going pro seem to not even be related to someone young who is still in school with no expenses and that can actively balance their social life with just 5 hours a day of poker. I see alot of posts against going pro but what about for someone who is young with absolutely no expenses, don't they have a monster advantage at this point in their life to really build a bankroll to the point where they could play professionally later on? And don't give me all that jazz about playing poker ruining your college years.... everyone I know in college blows at least 5 hours a day doing something like playing a video game or sitting around bullsh*tting with friends, or um... "working" at their real job. Just seems to me that someone whose young can become pro alot easier than someone with expenses and children depending on them.. because if they go broke they are not in dire straits for that money.... Is this not the perfect time to try?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Building a bankroll while you\'re young....

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be easier for someone who has absolutely ZERO expenses and ALOT of time on their hands to become professional at poker at an early age so by the time they graduate they have the bankroll necessary to be playing high stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no expenses, you can't be a pro. At least not by the definition I used in my articles.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Well I think I beliave so. I dropped my school not long ago and I'm living with my mother, in January I'll be 20. I start playing poker only 3 weeks ago and I've been practising for becoming better player 10-14 hours a day. I've been trying to search for work, but haven't got one.(Really hard here were even adults have a great unemployment rate, I live in northern Finland)
Well I screwed up my chances and lost my $84. My only mistake was the decision of changing game type, from fixed limit to no limit, which I just seem not to handle at all. When I get to collect my next starters by selling myself on the street (kidding, maybe) I'll be back stick playing to fixed limits. (I had a nice $200 before I changed to no limit and got beaten bad)
I have 3 months free time right now, before I'm going to army(exactly the same date as I'll be 20) so if I get $20 somewhere the time and the investement would be used well.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:07 AM

Yes, it is a great time to begin building your bankroll (whether you can be called a pro when your winnings don't pay your expenses or not). And staying in school while you do this is a great plan, because for almost everyone, poker will not last forever. And even if you don't go pro, you will have built a bankroll that you can play with during that terrible time right after college where you don't have enough money comming in to sustain yourself and pay for poker.
My only concern is that you shouldn't give up too much of this "bullshiting" time with friends. While your classmates are spending time together and building relationships that will last a lifetime, you will be in your room glued to the computer monitor. Instead of 5 hours a day, what about 2? I would give anyting to be back in school, hung-over and watching football with friends. Don't let poker replace this time interacting with others. That is not healthy.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have no expenses, you can't be a pro. At least not by the definition I used in my articles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you know what i'm getting at... im referring to build a bankroll while they have no expenses, so by the time they do start having them they are already playing higher stakes at a much nicer hourly rate. =/
Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM

I dont know why ppl want to play poker to get away from school. University is probably the best time of your life. I dropped out of math about 3 years ago and am now planning on going back for science at the age of 25. If I could go pro it would be to support my schooling not leave it behind. As a pro you could go to university to do what you are actually supposed to be doing there, learning and challenging yourself without all the baggage associated with graduating and finding a job. Idealistic, but if I turned pro thats what I would do.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
building relationships that will last a lifetime

[/ QUOTE ]
5 hours a day is nothing.... if I get back in at night after spending a day out hanging with friends at 9pm.. I can play until 2am no problem. How is this taking up any time whatsoever... I think anyone who is spending every last hour with their friends has other issues I will not delve into. I can go months without seeing my best friends from back at home and then when I go see them its like we never were apart.. and my friends at college are the same way, why would the relationship dwindle from me spending 5 hours of time on my own? :/
Old 09-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Take it as you will, but I graduated about 5 years ago, and looking back at college my only regret is that I spent too much time on the computer, and not enough time enjoying what I had. This is the best time of your life, make the most of it!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 hours a day is nothing.... if I get back in at night after spending a day out hanging with friends at 9pm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys hanging out on Sesame Street? Most college nights go a tad later than 9PM.

[ QUOTE ]
I think anyone who is spending every last hour with their friends has other issues I will not delve into.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is saying spend every hour with them, but 5 hours a day will seriously impede on the time you can spend with friends. And besdies, college is not a time to go weeks without seeing your best friends, it's pretty much the only time in your life when you'll be literally living with all your friends. Don't be that guy who sits at his computer every second he gets. Get out. Take a shower. Get laid. Chug a beer. For God's sake, don't play 5 hours a day.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 PM

I see my friends everyday.... go out every weekend... and can still play at nights during the weekday. Im confused, how is this affecting relationships with friends... but thats all beside the point. I just think with no expenses its a great time to build a bankroll for anyone who wants to go pro later. And for the record, I don't. Just was pointing out something I believe was being overlooked.