Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 AM

Default 5/10 pl Deep Stacks flopped low straight

Stack sizes are effectively 3k. Hero and villian are both winning today, and have played MANY pots together (I'd estimate well over 200 hours together). Villian is fairly loose and aggressive (but only raises hands big cards preflop, KJ+ 99+), will make big bluffs, but lately has cooled down a bit the last few sessions we've played.

He raises the pot. There's a caller. I call.

$140 in pot. Flop comes 7h 8h 9c.

I bet out $120. He thinks for a bit, goes to raise. Then calls. The other guy in the pot (a loose, fairly good, slightly winning player) says 'you were gonna raise it ey??? and thinks a bit, then calls.

$500 in pot. Pot rags queen, I bet $500 into him again. He thinks for a while, and [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] folds. Other player folds.

Ok, so I got a bit scared here not wanting to see half the deck without making him pay, I bet into him on the flop, figuring he'd normally raise me with an overpair, i could call, then CR him for a lot when the turn ragged. But he folded, told me he sweared on his children that he had kings, I believe him since we've played a lot of hours together and I know him fairly well.

How bad is the line against an aggressive player? I think I bet too much and took the action away from him, but I didn't want to shut him out straight away with a check raise... Maybe a weak lead would have worked better? As it stands, I feel like I missed a chance to stack his overpair if I played it perfectly... (he'll often commit with one pair).
Old 10-07-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: 5/10 pl Deep Stacks flopped low straight

I think the flop bet was good. Scary board, looks like you're trying to take it away from him. Usually he raises big, and you're set for turn c/r.

One question, with the ignorant end, anyone like 3 bet onflop if raised by PF raiser?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:09 AM

If you have a confident read on an overpair its probably better to wait till the turn to whack it cos you won't lose the pot when scare cards come.

If you're not sure and might have to come if a 10 comes, or a flush comes, then you should prolly 3 bet the flop and get your money in when you know your hands good. OR at least thats how i see things. How about check raising this turn?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 AM

If you think he'll commit with an overpair then bet somewhat less on the turn($325ish?) or go for the c/r. Your line screams too much of a strong hand not wanting to get drawn out on. You better be confident in your read when checking the turn though. If he checks behind it could get ugly. I had a very similar hand yesterday (smaller stakes) where I decided to fastplay my low straight. It worked out well.

Hero (eff stacks $220) has 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and limps in EP, 4 others limp. 5 handed and pot is $10. Flop comes:

8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $10, MP (tricky TAG) raises to $30, LP(Unknown) cold calls $30, Hero pops it to $110, MP calls $110, LP pushes for $220 total. We both call.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP Flips 88 and LP flips QJo. Hmm...

I'd play it again the same way though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck,
Finwe