Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:42 PM

Default 5-10 -- passive with an overpair

5-10 NLH 5 handed

I have very little information on Villain as I have been at the table only a few minutes. Two hands earlier, he blew me off a continuation bet on the flop with a big raise. I have $860. He has me covered.

Preflop

Folded to me on the Button with black Aces. I make it $40 to go. SB folds. Villain calls in the BB.

Flop

T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Yuck. He checks. I check behind.

Turn

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He bets $50. I call (bad?).

River

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] He bets $90.

Comments on flop or turn? How much do I raise this river?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: 5-10 -- passive with an overpair

anyone like an overbet here... something like $300+
Old 09-14-2005, 03:57 PM

I would have led at the flop. What was your plan when you checked? What was your plan when you called on the turn? You either got lucky and hit a 2-outer or got a poisoned pill if he was sitting on QQ

With the action having gone the way it did, I make a big bet (~$600) at this and hope he has 10-10 or J-J. You might even get paid off if he has a king. If he has QQ I just lose a lot of money with the big full.

If he doesn't have one of those hands, I don't think you're going to get another dime out of him. He has to know that a set of queens is no good.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have led at the flop. What was your plan when you checked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain was first to act, so I couldn't "lead" at the flop. I checked behind for pot control. This flop sucks for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:26 PM

This flop did suck for you, but I would have bet (not led [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) at it to find out where I was while the pot was still small. If he flopped a set of queens or jacks or a straight he would have shown his strength then for aobut $100.

I prefer to be the aggressor in a pot like this to make the villian make a decision that will reveal his hand.

So, did he have the quads?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:27 PM

Bet the flop ($60 or so). This is 5 handed and he called your "steal" on the button, which means he could have a wide range of hands here; this is not that bad of a flop. If he re-raised you PF, then I wouldn't like the flop that much. The spot to check behind is the turn. I raise the river to $300-$350.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 PM

I like an overbet on the river. I also like the flop check. On the turn, I don't mind the call too much, but I'd consider a raise there and then don't put another dime in the pot (unless you hit an ace).
Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 PM

I'm checking that flop like 90% of the time.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:53 PM

I can't say I would have played it any differently.
I don't mind the flop check, although I would bet it against certain opponents, but either way his position will force him to begin defining his hand on the turn.
Turn good.
Raise 2x his lead on river - he'll be hard pressed to fold hands like QJ or QA (maybe even QK, JJ, or TT) and may even reraise here with lesser boat holdings.
As usual in NLHE, you have to suck it up with the 2nd nuts and be willing to go broke into quads here unless you know you're beat.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is 5 handed and he called your "steal" on the button, which means he could have a wide range of hands here; this is not that bad of a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any such thing as a bad flop on this logic? I guess not.