Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 03:39 PM

Default $.50/1 NL, QhTh hand, big river decision

Extremely loose homegame table. As always, people are buying in completely short. No Max buy in, but the chip leader at the table has about $55 for a .50/1 game. I have $45 (I should have rebought before hand) and opponent has $50.

I get Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and limp on the button after 3 limpers before me. You will get paid off if you hit at this table. SB completes, BB checks.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB bets $4, BB raises to $9 and everyone folds, along with the SB folding out of turn. I consider pushing but decide to just call because I think I can save more when I miss and make almost as much if I hit. BB is a very loose, uncaring player. His level of attention is very low (always on cell phone, etc.). He doesn't care about the money but trys to play his "best" (remember, he is bad ).

Turn comes the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks and I really think he will pay me off if I hit and I don't think he will fold to a turn bet. I check.

River is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He leads for $4 into about a $25 dollar pot. I decide to raise for some value and make it $7 more. He will definately not fold an 8 or an A here.

He immediately pushes all in.

Is this a call?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: $.50/1 NL, QhTh hand, big river decision

Well, it really looks he has that flush too, especially with the check on turn. A full house would be surprising, unless he wanted you to complete your draw but based on your read, he's not that much of a thinking player.

Now, if you know he can push the river with only an 8 or some weak flush, you have to call. But what was he raising on flop, a pair of 8s?? A set? (then checking turn?) He's mostly on that flush draw himself i think..

I think you can win river no more than 50% of the time.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 PM

I need to win about 30% of the time to break even, though.

Few questions...

Is my value river raise ok?
Is my flop call ok?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 PM

Looks like you have to call the river. He could have the K flush, but he could also have a lower flush. He could also just have an 8 and think it's a monster if he really is a donk.

Value river raise is good, but it should be more. You want to raise as much as he will call with an A or an 8, which sounds like a lot more, maybe raise $20 more.

The flop call is a little loose with your stacks that short, unless you know he's going to give you a free card on the turn, and he'll pay off if you hit. You only have 50 BB and you're getting 10 of them in already, so there's only 40 more to win, and he may bet big on the turn.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you have to call the river. He could have the K flush, but he could also have a lower flush. He could also just have an 8 and think it's a monster if he really is a donk.

Value river raise is good, but it should be more. You want to raise as much as he will call with an A or an 8, which sounds like a lot more, maybe raise $20 more.

The flop call is a little loose with your stacks that short, unless you know he's going to give you a free card on the turn, and he'll pay off if you hit. You only have 50 BB and you're getting 10 of them in already, so there's only 40 more to win, and he may bet big on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply - so is the flop a push?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:34 AM

Re: pushing the flop

I think this depends on the read.

Against the type of player who could fold a weak ace - push the flop. Your draw value + fold equity makes this a strong move.

Against the type of player who will likely check the turn with a weak ace and is dumb enough to pay you off with their stack when you hit a heart (and they don't have the better flush) - just calling is okay.

Against the type of player who will play strongly with an ace but not pay you off if you hit your draw - fold.