Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 10-12-2005, 12:00 AM

Default A way to end the Barron hubbub - A request to El Diablo

A line from one of El Diablo's responses to Barron:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only humourous thing here is watching you make such a f'in clown of yourself even after being given multiple opportunities to salvage some amount of dignity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[So I wrote this in replay to El's post. And it explains the reason for this post, in addition my original reply will not be buried in the other thread, which is tedious and long]

This is what happened [I should add that this is my theory]. Barron got someone to fold aces by rather bad play combined with some luck. His opponent, a fool, showed his hand before mucking, thus proving he was a very poor player to begin with. Barron then took this, and working backwards, with results orientated thinking and other poor poker reasoning wrote up an article. To give it some punch he added the quotes from Theory of Poker etc. on the header. Bingo – an ego inflated article that falls flat.

I'm starting to get pissed. And that's something for a stoic like me.

Here is what needs to be done, and you would be the best one to do it. Copy and paste Barron's article into Word. Go through the whole article paragraph by paragraph and put all your comments and questions in italics, interlaced with his original article. That way no doubt or questions can arise to every point made. No quibbling or underhanded tactics will be possible in a response. Make a few remarks about the poor construction of some of the sentences also. Just to add some fun to it.

Then repost it in this forum for all to see.

What I also find troubling is that my friend Andy Fox is having an article published in this magazine. And this oaf Barron is besmirching its reputation just before that happens. Andy can no doubt restore some of the luster but that is beside the point.

You have time for this El Diablo? I hope so.

-Zeno

PS I am also going to make the above as a separate post in this forum.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: A way to end the Barron hubbub - A request to El Diablo

[ QUOTE ]

Here is what needs to be done, and you would be the best one to do it. Copy and paste Barron's article into Word. Go through the whole article paragraph by paragraph and put all your comments and questions in italics, interlaced with his original article. That way no doubt or questions can arise to every point made. No quibbling or underhanded tactics will be possible in a response. Make a few remarks about the poor construction of some of the sentences also. Just to add some fun to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This certainly sounds like a jolly homework assignment. I can only hope you will be participating as well. Perhaps through them redemption will be found. Is their an estimated due date or should I hit "refresh" on this thread every few moments and hope for the best?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 10-12-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This certainly sounds like a jolly homework assignment. I can only hope you will be participating as well. Perhaps through them redemption will be found. Is their an estimated due date or should I hit "refresh" on this thread every few moments and hope for the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that article that you linked to in the other thread. It was very interesting.

And with the above response, I understand things better now than before.

Thanks.

I'm done.

I have better things to do with my time.

-Zeno
Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have better things to do with my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can only hope that the Double D Gang of Diablo and Daryn aren't as responsible with their time.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM

Zeno,

Someone, perhaps a wiser man than me, gave me the following advice regarding this episode:

First off, there's no question that you are correct about the poker strategy involved. I think what's best is for you not to comment any more. Your points have been clearly made... It should be clear to everyone that Barron is a little on tilt and isn't completely clear in his thinking when responding to you.

I've decided to take those words to heart and just let my statements in the other thread stand. I summarized a number of my thoughts (and enumerated a number of Barron's) regarding this issue in this post in the other thread. At this point, I'm sure Barron is both unwilling and unable to see the error of his ways in the face of overwhelming reason and rationality from all sides, so I don't plan to comment any further in this matter.

You, of course, are welcome to try.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You, of course, are welcome to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reached the same conclusion, see my last response to Barron.

[ QUOTE ]
Someone, perhaps a wiser man than me, gave me the following advice regarding this episode:

First off, there's no question that you are correct about the poker strategy involved. I think what's best is for you not to comment any more. Your points have been clearly made... It should be clear to everyone that Barron is a little on tilt and isn't completely clear in his thinking when responding to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wise man, indeed.

I think I'll go read some Seneca or perhaps some Marcus Aurelius.

For the record and as a last comment to Barron, I carry no ill will towards you. In my opinion, I think you are too abstinate and somewhat misguided.

But I wish you the best in both your writing and poker playing careers. I hope you do well by both of them.

-Zeno
Old 10-12-2005, 04:48 AM

Hi Everyone:

I agree with the "Masked Man." This article in question, as well as the pros and cons of Barron's strategy have been well discussed and analyzed, and I think it's fairly clear what everyone thinks whether it is correct or misguided. So in my opinion, it's time to move on to other subjects.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 10-12-2005, 04:34 AM

Looking at the two recent Baron articles, I think Diablo has summed it up correctly. Baron looks at a hand where the outcome was favorable (last month it was hitting a gutshot after calling multiple bets on flop and turn) and then comes up with some nonsensical rationale about how he played it like an expert.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:03 AM

Hi phish:

I disagree with you here. Let me talk hypothetically. That is I won't address anything apecific written by any specific author.

If you go to your favorite cardroom and pick up (perhaps) your favorite magazine and read something stupid, there's no recourse. I guess you could send a letter to the editor but it's doubtful that it would ever be published.

On our Internet magazine, that's not the case. If an author gets an article published, and it just happens to be flawed, even if the flaw is a small one, he'll hear about it from our posters. That's part of our policy of holding our writers to a higher standard.

Now put your feet in the writer's shoes. Even though virtually all writers believe that what they write is quite good, they all know that when we put their article up, they may have to address issues they never even thought of.

As you can see, it's not as easy as it appears for someone to have an article published in our Two Plus Two Internet Magazine. So in that sense, it's probably best to take it easy, but not to easy, on our writers when you just happen to think they have presented a misconception.

By the way, none of this applies to anything that Ray Zee writes.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-14-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So in that sense, it's probably best to take it easy, but not to easy, on our writers when you just happen to think they have presented a misconception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because 2+2, and Mason in particular, have always been "easy" on fellow authors of magazine articles and books alike. I'm sure Rolf Slotbloom and Lee Jones would agree.