Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Leakgate continues.... How do explain this?

My source is AP and Meet The Press.

Today, Cooper stated that a second source (the first being Rove) was Libby, Cheney's (!) Chief of Staff.

BUT....

In 2003, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the idea that Rove was involved in leaking information about Wilson's wife was "ridiculous." He also said Libby was not involved.

"I like to check my information to make sure it's accurate before I report back to you," McClellan told the press in October 2003. McClellan said then that he had also checked with Libby and National Security Council official Elliott Abrams before saying they were not involved in the leak.

SO....

Did Rove and/or Libby lie to McClellan? Did McClellan lie to the American people, or did he just have bad information? Is this all just some innocent misunderstanding? Even if the outing of a CIA agent didn't happen, could there be some other crime here? Why did the CIA ask the Dep't of Justice to investigate this?

One thing's for sure, with someone in jail, with all these unanswered questions, with the White House remaining silent and not even repeating what they've claimed in the past, and with the aggressive special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald manning the helm, this ain't over.

-ptmusic
Old 07-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Leakgate continues.... How do explain this?

it's not good
Old 07-17-2005, 09:28 PM

And Judith Miller is currently the lynchpin.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:49 PM

A Republican friend of mine has always wanted to be White House Press Secretary some day. But not today...
Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM

I'm pretty sure they don't have a special prosecuter anymore. I thought they got rid of it after the whole debacle with Clinton.

However, I'm pretty sure that someone in the White House did something illegal. I've found the story very hard to follow up to this point, but that's my guess.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:26 AM

I explain it differently:

President Bush, whom I do not hate, has nevertheless acted as President much like those jokers who have 20X the initial buyin in a tournament in the first half-hour. Sooner or later, the same risky play that got them the big stack exits them from the tournament out of the money.

GWB is the same way when it comes to politics. He makes bold, 100% balls-out declarations that leave him no room to wiggle. Up until now, he's avoided it...mostly because of people like Rove and Cheney deflecting, spinning, and strongarming. Unfortunately, now the spotlight is on one of the defenders, and GWB's bold statements have finally caught up to him. You can't play 36offsuit forever and expect to win long-term.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies."
- Winston Churchill

[/ QUOTE ]

Misunderestimated again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
I wouldn't bet he's playing 3-6 offsuit.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:37 PM

Today Bush finally spoke. He has now narrowed the phrasing of his words so that he promises to fire anyone in his administration who has committed a crime. Before, he didn't specify "crime", just involvement in the leak.

Of course, I'm sure he, Rove, Cheney, et al, have received numerous assurances from lawyers that Rove didn't commit a crime. So this is their way out.

I still predict that someone besides Miller will be indicted, most likely on obstruction or perjury charges. There will be a scapegoat here at the very least.

-ptmusic
Old 07-18-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still predict that someone besides Miller will be indicted, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

When was Miller indicted?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Today Bush finally spoke. He has now narrowed the phrasing of his words so that he promises to fire anyone in his administration who has committed a crime. Before, he didn't specify "crime", just involvement in the leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "leak" we mean "revealing Plame's identity" it's still not clear that there WAS a leak, much less a crime.