Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 06:20 PM

Default KK losing again

I had this hand last night at UB ($0.50/$1 NL):

Hero is BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($156.25)
4 limpers, and I raise to $6 in the BB.
Flop ($20): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet $20 and button raises (All-in) to $62.25.

I think for a while (I think that he may have 55 or 88 or overcards and flush draw), and close my eyes and call.

Turn ($144.50): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
River ($144.50): Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Should I have made the call?

Results:
Button shows 77 for a set of 7s and takes it down. <font color="white"> </font>
Old 09-23-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: KK losing again

Well unless you have a great read on the guy, and You KNOW he has a set, I would call. He could have AA, or QQ-88, and all of them are more or less likely to an extent. Basically call, unless you read him like a book.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:36 PM

There are a lot of ways that you could be beaten here. First of all, you have to think, "what would my opponent have called a sizeable raise with preflop but not raised himself?" My read would be 22-TT or AQ, AJ, or (maybe) ATs. Before the flop, you have showed strength. After the flop, you continue to show strength, and he pushes over the top of you. Now, he knows that you have a hand where you are probably willing to call all-in in any case... If he has 55 (for you, that would be the best case, I doubt anyone would push with 88, that would be an awful move), then you are roughly 57-40 to win, assuming that he has 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], if not, 60-37. These are not overwhelming odds. You'd be right to call here, assuming that you KNEW he had 55. If he has the ace of clubs and another big card, then you are about 52-45 to win. In this case, you'd still be right to call being ahead, but you are going to get unlucky a lot of the time. The absolute worst case for you (short of your opponent having a set or a made straight... I think we can safely rule out the latter...) would be A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. In this case, you are actually about 60:35 to LOSE, even with the best hand on the flop!

This brings us to the last case, the set. If he has 77, 66, or 44, you are a huge dog, about 88:9 (according to twodimes) to lose. In this case, it would be a huge mistake to call. Your only real hopes here would be to catch one of two kings, or to catch runner-runner to complete the straight for a chop (another 3%).

Of the likely holdings that he could have (discounting the possibility that he is slow-playing aces, which is another remote possibility), you are about even money in the best case, or a huge dog in the worst case. I'd say that you are probably safe to fold here. If he made a position play, putting you on two overcards instead of a big pair, then he made a ballsy play, and IMO a really bad one, since many players have a hard time throwing away hands as bad as AQ or AJ when faced with an all-in raise on a board like that. The only hand that you can really beat easily that he would push with here is a pair of 55, 88, 99, TT. In the case of 55 or 88, you'd have gotten outdrawn on the turn but you'd have made the right call. In all other cases, the only thing that you can really beat is a bluff or semibluff. I'd say, toss them and wait for a better spot.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:56 PM

After the all in, you have to call. You are getting about 2:1 and the range of hands that he could have is huge here. Granted, he could have a set, two pair or a straight, but he could easily have an overpair, a straight draw, a flush draw or top pair.