Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Flopped straight - deep NL100

[ QUOTE ]
Disagree. It is VERY rare for someone to take a 2/3 bet on the river from you to be a blocker (assuming you did what I recommened and bet $50) at this level and on that dangerous of a board when you've fired 3 barrels and raise with something you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment was directed at betting 35 - less than half pot. A LAG villain could easily push a diamond river with a non-flush, if I bet half pot.

[ QUOTE ]
What hand were you afraid of? 9T? TT? Wouldnt JJ reraise preflop? Would villain really check a made hand twice with that drawy of a board? If he had 2 pair or set he has to raise flop, and if he failed to do that then the turn would defintely be rasied for value. Sure played it like a draw , but maybe hes that tricky/dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not really afraid, only confused. I don't like being OOP against a LAG that calls me down. I don't think he floppet a set, as I think he'd raise me on the turn. But I don't know. I'm not really comfortable with the river - if I bet $50, what hands will pay me off?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Im not too concerned with getting paid off here. You already have yourself a nice pot and unless youre willing to play for your whole stack on this crazy board then be happy when folds to your $50-60 bet. I hate being raised all in by a LAG when i really just want a call who sees my small river bet as weak. Some hands you jsut wont make any money on the river. So are you ready to play for your stack here?

and like i mentioned i think the only that you beat that calls any bet here is 89s. otherwise its fold/push for villain. anyone agree with this?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you ready to play for your stack here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So are you ready to play for your stack here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that case i think you bet half pot here, and hope he pushes. How did he build such a large stack?

So did you bet, he raised all-in, you called, and he showed you a backdoor flsuh?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM

With that juicy a flop I don't see any reasonable player check calling until the river. Even if you read him as an erratic player I still don't believe the 9 helped his hand. The back door flush draw is a possibility considering the way he played the hand. I could see him with a pair and straight draw on flop that turned a flush draw as well.
Still, I like the bet of $50 or $55 on river. I see this as a value bet though it will also allow for an easy fold to a big raise.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:41 AM

I think everyone has to stop referring to this guy as a LAG. With numbers like 70/20, he's a fish, a donkey, whatever you want to call him, he's bad. I see this alot. Absolutely terrible players build huge stacks like this. They catch a couple cards in some key pots, put people on tilt, and before you know it, they are up a couple buy ins.
Against terrible players like this, I like to check to them on the river to induce a bet. He very easily could've been in there with a club draw, a bare Q, or a bare 8. However, given your reads that he is pretty damn passive ie checking down with JJ, he is probably more of a calling station who called down with mid pair to take a huge pot off someone. I would also favor a bet of around 50.
You have the best hand a huge percentage of the time. He would've raised on the flop with a set or two pair. I like 50 and hope he was in there with QJ or 94 or something he can call you with. This is a value bet, not a blocking bet.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 AM

River is not a scare card IMO. He did not call you on flop with a diamond flush draw. Backdoors do happen but ... you cant really fear them unless the pot is multiway.

I dont think check call is horrible as you give a busted spade draw some rope to bluff.

Now that I think about it more check-call is your best move. Busted spade might move in. Lower strait might move in. A-9 K-9 hands like that might move in. You said you are willing to play for your stack here. Dont push it in and only get called by a boat, check it and let them bet worse hands. If you are not willing to play for your stack then a blocker might be better.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:51 AM

I felt at the time it was an easy value bet, but afterwards I couldn't think of many hands that would pay me off on the river that I was ahead off.

</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $60</font>, CO calls $60.

Final Pot: $192.50

CO shows Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a double bellybuster draw with a backdoor flush. Guess he was afraid of a boat since he didn't bet the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 AM

well at least you got off easy...

too bad i wouldnt have ever been able to put him on diamonds in the heat of the hand.
NH tho, you played it exactly how i would have