Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Help me with my car dilemma

finding a good used car is harder than buying a new one. rent something by the week while you search for something good.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:02 PM

I bought a 350z last week and it friggin rocks. You wont regret it.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And my guy friends do drive it pretty

[/ QUOTE ]

Look she used the word 'my'

Melch
Old 08-20-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 350z is sweet but i will recommend the G35 Coupe...i got one 3 days ago...6MT, 19 inch Rays wheels, spoiler, sunroof etc...basically all the options and was able to get a deal at 34500....The Z when equipped ends up being similarly priced but with less features, a much crappier interior, uglier wheels, and no back seats. On the flip side, the Z is like a few tenths of a second faster (although it does feel somewhat lighter on its feet when driving).

In summary, I like both but the infiniti is a better deal.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:29 PM

It's going to be a hassle to buy/sell/buy a car. Insurance, tags, registration will be too time consuming to do twice.

I would rent a car for a week or so and get the car you want. If you know you want a Z, it won't take long to get it. Be prepared for some steep insurance especially if you are under 25.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the BMW I just don't want the yuppie a-hole image. I guess I can learn to embrace it. No one else wants to put in their 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bemmers break down a lot and are expensive to repair.

I know a few bmw mechanics, and they are all very happy they chose them to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

BMW mechanics make a LOT of money regardless of how much cars break down. I think you're getting the wrong idea about why they're happy.

I won't disagree that BMWs can be expensive to fix, but if you can DIY, you can really bring the costs down. Most of the cost of maintenance is labor, anyways.

As for them breaking down a lot...I'm not sure where you got that. BMWs are very reliable, and cars can very often run to 250,000 miles or more. There have been a couple problems with VANOS in the '93-'95 cars, but this wasn't exactly widespread, and has been resolved in later engines. In fact, BMW tried to shed this bad reputation a couple years back by instituting its maintenance plan for their new cars. BMW now pays for EVERY maintenance item for a period in order to prove that their cars are reliable. Here:

[ QUOTE ]
Full Maintenance Program covers all factory-recommended maintenance, as determined by the Service Interval Indicator for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Full Maintenance Program includes items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW specifications. This includes items such as brake pads, brake rotors and wiper blades that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Any adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyways, I'm not too familiar with the E30 chassis (the year I mentioned in the post above), but considering that engine is not VANOS-equipped, reliablility is going to do nothing but improve (and that's not to say that VANOS equipped cars are unreliable by any means).

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the M3's are definately much better, but the older 3 series...eeeek. Not to mention they are a pain in the ass to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The S52 in the M3 has actually been shown to be LESS reliable than the M52 in the standard 3-series. The S52 is still a very good engine, however.

[ QUOTE ]
I like the BMW I just don't want the yuppie a-hole image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be rude, but I think this is your problem, not the BMW owners'. BMWs are very capable performance/handling-wise, which is the main reason I'd recommend one.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the 350z is sweet but i will recommend the G35 Coupe...i got one 3 days ago...6MT, 19 inch Rays wheels, spoiler, sunroof etc...basically all the options and was able to get a deal at 34500....The Z when equipped ends up being similarly priced but with less features, a much crappier interior, uglier wheels, and no back seats. On the flip side, the Z is like a few tenths of a second faster (although it does feel somewhat lighter on its feet when driving).

In summary, I like both but the infiniti is a better deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I had that loot to throw down on one of those. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 10:53 PM

I went and checked out the 350Z and I love it. Right now I am leaning towards getting it. I didn't mean to offend any BMW owners I don't think BMW drivers are yuppie a-holes but I think the general public has that perception. I like the G35 but it is a little more than I want to spend.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:55 PM

BOOT,
If you don't mind could you tell me how much you spent and which model did you get? Also what kind of financing did you get? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:41 PM

I am going to go check cars out again today. I will check out the G35 coupe to compare with the Z. I will also go test drive a '99 or so M3 as it seems everyone loves theirs. I would love a '01 but it is a little more than I want to spend. I know a few people that have them and they love theirs too. Any other cars I should check out?