Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Fun AK hand with no pair

Just remembered this hand. Happened a long time ago at UB so I don't remember the details too well. As usual, everyone at the table was playing relatively tight, though not always good.

Keep in mind that UB is home of the famous "bet pot" button which is used almost exclusively for selecting an amount to bet or raise at all times, except for the infamous min-bets and min-raises.

.5/1 full ring

EP player raises pot (3.50)
I call in MP with AKo.
CO calls.
BB calls.

Three to the flop (14.50). Some horrid flop like 852r.

BB minbets (1)
EP raises to 8
I call
CO folds
BB folds

Turn rag
check, check

River rag
check, check

I would have called a river bet.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Fun AK hand with no pair

Uh,

Is there any particular reason you're cold-calling a big bet on the flop with no pair?

Need info on the specific opponents, but it looks like a clear flop fold to me. No idea why you'd call a river bet as well.

Garland
Old 01-02-2005, 06:15 AM

what garland said...ALSO...WHY DID YOU POST THIS
Old 01-02-2005, 07:51 AM

From my experience of UB $1 BB, it would usually be suicide to call that flop bet. EP also has two people behind him to act, so it gives his flop raise even more credit.

The check through on the turn and river means nothing, he could easily have a small pocket pair or even a big one seeing as you cold called on an almost totally drawless board with loads of small cards.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 AM

The $1 lead into the PRF looks extremely weak. PFR knows that a guy that min-bets like that will usually fold to a decent raise. So he raises it. The key here though was that he raised to $8 rather than using the "raise pot" button. To actually choose a specific amount to raise rather than hitting the min raise or pot raise button was definately unusual. So the question is, what would make him do that? After considering it for a moment, it seemed obvious -- He wanted to steal the pot (afterall this is a pretty safe board for stealing) but didn't want to risk a full bet to do it. His scared raise can only mean that he has big overcards rather than an overpair. He can't have me beaten, so now what do I do? Well, BB has already shown that he's weak. Facing a raise and a call I'm pretty sure he'll get out of the way. And the CO is unlikely to have hit this board. So I just call and hope that the others will oblige me in getting out of the way. And they do. Another consideration is that if I cold call here he won't bet the turn again with no pair, so if he does bet I can figure my read was wrong or he hit the turn card, and I can get away cheaply. If he checks then I'm probably in the clear.

I considered betting on the turn/river but figured I'd only get called if my read was wrong.

EP shows AQ and MHIG.

No real point to this hand... it just seemed interesting. A nice example of where it pays to think about what your opponents are thinking.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:01 AM

The fact that he chose a bet size rather than betting pot on this board doesn't mean much without a read. He could be raising that amount to extract value from a weak hand like top pair without scaring him off. What would you have done there with a big PP? Would you have raised full pot? Probably not.

It may have worked out for you that one time, but its a loser in the long run without a read.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:41 AM

He made a bet that was inconsistent with a hand that would beat me. And I was getting 3:1 with position and as many as six outs if I was behind.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He made a bet that was inconsistent with a hand that would beat me. And I was getting 3:1 with position and as many as six outs if I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your sentiment is overly optimistic.

Although it worked this time, I dont like it. It's like trapping with the nut no pair hand.

If you thought he had no pair on the turn I think a bet there would be keen, as he most likely has 6 outs vs you / you dont care about a turn checkraise because if he has a hand good enough to C/R you, you're prolly drawing dead.

ON ANOTHER LEVEL...
If you flatcall a player because their action on the turn gives away their apparent hand, then I dont mind the move so much. (If you *know* the 1dollar bet guy means he has a very poor hand) But this is only because you know you'll be able to take it away on the turn, not because you think you're calling with the best hand.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 PM

imo there are simply too many people to act behind the flop raiser for his hand range to consist of mostly unpaired hands. I think you will find that the % of players that make this raise are really small, and definently not worth a call here.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:00 PM

Would it make a difference if only three players saw the flop? As I said initially, this hand is from quite a while ago and I'm not sure about all of the details.