Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 88 in the SB getting cute

right I understand that you were all in. I agree that once you just completed, your move was probably the right move as you aren't deep enough to just smoothcall his $20 and you don't want button in there with you. you should be ecstatic to take it down right there. once you are all in, at what speed he calls or not doesn't really matter right?

The reason I asked whether you are going to rebuy for bigger stack if you lose is that if you do, you can later try the same thing with much more premium hands and get paid off.

Still I like the open to $6 or $8 more, bet any flop.

The check reraise all in just looks like a small stack who is tired of being muscled desperation move.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Results

These are good points. I thank you... this should help me. The result was he folded and I guess I should have been happy but I felt like I wasn't considering everything I needed to be and thanks for some good points to ponder.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:40 PM

I HATE the open for $8 and bet any flop.

HATE HATE!

I like the limp reraise move so much more for metagame and fold equity reasons.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:43 PM

<In Borak voice>

All Right!
Old 12-15-2004, 04:48 PM

please expound on those metagame and folding equity reasons
Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 PM

If, as was suggested, the guy was 'decent' but just getting out of line, I might have pulled the limp, re-raise trick and then shown the 88 after the fold. That should both protect your blinds a bit, but also keep him loose enough to get some action from him later when you actually hit a hand. What do you think? Do I just like to **** with people too much for my own good?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:15 PM

I think it depends on what you want to do on subsequent hands.

Whether you want more breathing room so you can limp in more or whether you want to trap with big hands more.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM

I always just like to keep them off balance, so that I can limp because he is scared to raise me preflop, but also so that I can get action on big hands because he can't be sure that I have a monster. I would want his thinking to go like this: "I have A7 in the BB. I don't want to raise because he could pop me back with a hand like 88 that most people wouldn't do, but that hand would dominate me here." If he knows you won't pop him back with 88, then even if you have that hand and you call his raise, you are probably mucking on his flop bet when you don't hit your set, so it is +EV for him. If he may get popped back, then he can't count on any fold equity on the flop, so it is -EV for him to raise you. That keeps him off your limps. Post flop, I want him to be thinking "I have top two and he pushed. But I remember that he pushed with 88 before which was a marginal hand for that move, so I will call here with top two, he can't possibly have that beat, right?" so I can take his stack with my set. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 PM

I think that the OP's line is by far the best for this situation. Here is the key point, he has pegged his opponent as someone who is stealing with crap, so he figures to have the best hand the vast majority of the time.

Either his opponent is the sort of player who folds to any sort of pressure and so this move has huge fold equity or he will call with a large range of hands that 88 is a significant favorite over.

This also will stop any more of this raising a bunch of limpers with any two cards.

Raising straight out is dodgy here for many reasons, but the main one is the characteristics of the button. He is a loose draw chaser. Why would you want to donate money to somebody who is going to call you down when all you will have most of the time postflop is a pair of 88s? Limp and wait (if there is no raise from the BB) until you have something that you can feel confident about betting to the bitter end.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:16 AM

this sums things up pretty well.