Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Techie Advice - Poker Laptop

Thanks for all the reponses on specs & sites to check out. Looks like Centrino, Wifi-g, non-manufacturer memory, & long battery rating are must-haves.

I was checking out the Fujitsu and saw a Tablet PC listed. Anybody try these with online poker? Seems like they'd be a good streamlined/small solution for plopping on your lap, turning off the chatbox, and just using the pen to click check/fold/raise.

A smallish machine with as close to 1600x1200 resolution does sounds good, though I haven't yet found a laptop w/ <15" screen and <8 or 9 lbs with that available.

I also didn't even think to go physically look at the screen quality/size. I seem to remember a Gateway in our office that was supposed to be 1600x1200, but 1) it looked awful if you changed the settings, and 2) only got to 1600x1200 by scrolling the screen when you got near the edges.

J
Old 09-23-2003, 06:18 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

It looks a little funny. Most of the newer laptops have a software feature that allows you to run at 1600/1200 and then scale fonts to the size you want. This works pretty well on well written apps but some (i.e. Party Poker) don't handle it well. Unfortunatly there is no perfect solution here.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:50 PM

I researched all the tablets i could find, but they are all PIII not PIV, someone said the chips weren't ready for the confines of a tablet, and none of the tablets i saw had higher than XGA video...need SXGA to get the 1600 resolution that is critical.

All of you who are in favor of Dell, please go see a Fujitsu screen and see if I am the only one who is just in love with it.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want a computer where I can play something like 6-8 games at once with no switching from screen to screen

[/ QUOTE ]

As has been mentioned, you can do this by using 2 monitors at 1600X1200. You could also fit 9 tables on one monitor, without any overlap, if you were able to achieve a resolution of 2400X1800. I am not aware of any monitors that are capable of this. I would be curious to know if anyone has heard of anything capable of supporting 2400X1800.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Techie Advice

I hope this isn't too off topic, but how the heck do you manage to play 8 tables at a time? I realize I'm a newbie, but I find it stressful enough when I'm playing two tables. I'll be in the middle of a tough hand and then get pocket aces at the other table and flip out. Am I missing something or does it just take a lot of practice?

-Moyer
Old 09-24-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Techie Advice

[ QUOTE ]
how the heck do you manage to play 8 tables at a time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only handle 5 tables right now. This is at 1/2. As I move up in limits I need to scale back. However, I think if I had 2 21" monitors side by side (instead of the current config of a 21" and a 17") then I could someday get 8 going profitable. Once you've played gazillions of hands, almost all decisions are automatic. Keep plugging away, I'm sure you'll be able to increase from 2 tables.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:13 PM

Just make sure it has a UXGA monitor, otherwise it wont run 1600x1200. I'm happy with my Dell ($2100)
Old 09-24-2003, 05:19 PM

would anyone mind getting in to explaining WiFi as far as how it works and what it takes to get it? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Continued bumping of useful posts......NM

Old 09-24-2003, 09:49 PM

Default Best choice for you

Toshiba has a 17' WIDESCREEN notebook...
Its like 3.2 Ghz, DVD RW, built in wireless, etc etc.
For around $1850 at Costco.

Its probably one of the heaviest laptops on the market,
so its a bit hard to travel with.
But for moving it around from room to room in a house
its ideal.

The widescreen is great for multi table play.
No other laptop Ive seen compares.

If you read the reviews at amazon.com, you'll see
some very postive feedback.