Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 02:07 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: Recommendations from a techie

You obviously haven't worked big accounts with Hpaq. Even in some cases IBM, just having them underbid you is being nice. Dell is up front an honest about their direct model.

Why not let Dell have the hardware and do the service side? I guarantee your getting the better end of that deal.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Techie Advice - Poker Laptop

Very important question -- I want a computer where I can play something like 6-8 games at once with no switching from screen to screen, on party/empire etc. Right now I can play 5 comfortably but if I step it up to 6 or more, it becomes very difficult sometimes. However if I could buy a computer where all games are on the screen at the same time without overlap, it should be no problem. Is this even possible, does anyone know?
Old 09-23-2003, 02:28 PM

Because then the customer also buys their servers, switches, routers, printers, etc from Dell instead of me, and those items actually have profit.

As far as big accounts with Compaq go, you're right I'm not a big account. I do about $2m a year with Compaq, which is a step above nothing but far below the big boys. At this level, I have very few bad things to say about them.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:34 PM

I assume you mean on a desktop, in which case it's very possible. Your least-cost option would probably be to buy a dual-head video card and two monitors. It's a very workable setup especially if you take the time to tune your mouse acceleration settings so you can quickly move across both screens, but then slow down and accurately click.

If you have the budget for it, I'd say get 2 1600x1200 flat panels that support rotating the display 90 degrees, such as the LaCie photon20vision.

8 games at once.... holy schmoly...
Old 09-23-2003, 02:43 PM

good for Dell.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:51 PM

I'm a techie by trade - I have a Compaq Presario x1000 and I love it. It's a widescreen 15.4" and I also got the WUXGA model (1920x1200) so I can easily fit 3 tables from Party.

It gets a thumbs up from me although I've heard good things about the Dell laptops as well.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:58 PM

I use an IBM Thinkpad at work and like it. I've also had good experiences with Dell (laptops and desktops).

My last work laptop was a Gateway, which was ok too but I wouldn't recommend it over IBM or Dell.

Also, get WiFi (wireless networking). The Thinkpad has it built in so I don't need an extra card for it - there's no going back once you've gotten used to surfing the net (or playing poker) on the couch while watching TV.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:05 PM

slavic,

When you get a 1600x1200 display is that the only resolution that will look decent? In other words, can you switch to say 1024x768 when you are using another application so it is readable?

Thanks,
Lost Wages
Old 09-23-2003, 03:09 PM

Yeah, great for Dell, bad for small businesses like mine, bad for my customers as well. I make my money by helping my customers run their businesses more efficiently. Dell makes their money by selling them things.

There's a world of difference in philosophy and result.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing I'd recommend...you can get really burned on memory buying it directly from dell. The better option is to just take whatever base memory they offer and then go to crucial and buy whatever you need and install it yourself. This probably voids your warranty, but I'm not one for extended warranties either.

jHE

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt it voids any warranty, and if it does it is extrmeley easy to remove it without anyone being able to detect the memory's former presence.