Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 01:58 AM

Default medium strength hand against maniac

Villian is 58/29 and very aggressive post flop after 60 hands. He's been calling down when he's got any piece (although he hasn't had to do so in a big pot). This is the second time i reraised him preflop. A few hands ago he called a reraise and then check-folded the flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($453.75)
Hero ($424.10)
BB ($490.70)
UTG ($251.15)
MP ($477.20)
CO ($264.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $46</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO folds, Button calls $30.

Flop: ($100) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $80</font>, Button calls $80.

Turn: ($260) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $125</font>, Button calls $125.

River: ($510) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $160</font> (I meant to go allin here but apparently did not drag the bar far enough)

Thoughts on my line?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: medium strength hand against maniac

PF: I would raise a bit more, but it's probably okay.

Flop: Fine.

Turn: Less than half the pot? Why? This bet gives him odds to draw, and invites him to move you off your hand. Stack sizes are pretty awkward, here, though. Honestly, I'm not really sure what I like on the turn... anybody got a good line? I'm almost leaning toward a check/raise all in. This punishes him for all the mid pairs, draws, and anything else he might float on you with. If he checks turn, check/call river.

River: Board is so draw heavy, I would probably check/call on the river. You say he calls down with marginal hands, so a push is okay too, if he's really calling with a mid PP or JJ.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Less than half the pot? Why? This bet gives him odds to draw, and invites him to move you off your hand. Stack sizes are pretty awkward, here, though. Honestly, I'm not really sure what I like on the turn... anybody got a good line? I'm almost leaning toward a check/raise all in. This punishes him for all the mid pairs, draws, and anything else he might float on you with. If he checks turn, check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you said, stacks were a little weird here and i wasn't quite sure what to do. I commited myself by betting just under half my remaining stack. The bet looked weak so there's no way i'm folding to an allin agianst this guy (because he might just push a draw). The main reason for betting so little was not to blow him off an underpair.

[ QUOTE ]
Board is so draw heavy, I would probably check/call on the river. You say he calls down with marginal hands, so a push is okay too, if he's really calling with a mid PP or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought long and hard before acting on the river. He seemed like the type to play a draw faster. I'm not sure if it was right but his line screamed medium pocket pair to me. And i don't think he's laying down a PP but he's likely to check behind with one.

So i think my line maximizes my EV if he has a middle pair but is somewhat dangerous when he has a draw (because like you said, i priced him in on the turn). I guess the question is does he have a middle pair often enough to justify giving a dangerously cheap turn card?

Note - If he has me beat i'm going broke with this hand so that option really doesn't figure into my calculations (although it's a definite possibility). But I think i pretty much have to make up my mind on the turn and against this opponent i decided my hand was too strong to fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:36 AM

You say he's aggressive, which IMO makes check-raise turn all in look good