Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Notetaking

In online poker, one of our best tools for keeping track of players' tendancies is the note feature, which is provided by every poker site I have ever seen.

Personally, I try to take notes whenever I see a piece of information about a player that I think will be useful. As a result, a typical player note will look something like the following:

Limps in with garbage PF.
Calls raises with garbage PF.
Passive with draws.
Min-Raise = monster

etc.

The problem with this, of course, is that 1 or 2 isolated incidents become my read on villian in the future. Sometimes, I won't even know how long ago the notes were taken, or from what game (Tourney, stud, etc..).

My question for the forum is, how do you use it?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Notetaking

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Badly. I've been meaning to come up with a good system for ages now. I'm very interested in what others are doing.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Mine are pretty much the same as yours. I note down whatever I can. Generally, during the same session I don't need to refer to the notes because it's still fresh in mind what I've observed, however, when I first sit at a table or a new player joins and I have notes on that person, I read them right away and immediately begin to evaluate whether or not the notes are still accurate. Sometimes things no longer apply as the person has gained experience and now plays differently and/or better. Maybe they played a certain way once because they were on tilt and I had no way of knowing that. However, if I have a note that says this guy min raises pre-flop with monsters and then I see him another time and he raises 3x BB or 4xBB, I'll change that note, however, I'll also note that as well. I don't play in tournaments very often online so my notes are generally on ring games although I will note if it is a full game or shorthanded. If I notice the player adjusting to the table, I'll note that, i.e. loosened up becaue table was a rock garden. I tend not to put in specific hands played but a more general idea of how they play, such as "will limp in EP with suited one-gappers" or "will not bluff or semi-bluff" "only bets if feels hand is not vulnerable." I'm interested in this topic as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think specific notes are overrated for online.

But before anyone criticizes that statement, I have an extremely comprehensive (primarily automated) note system, and I came to my conclusion afterwards.

The system tells exactly how much each player bets each type of hand in each position. For known hands, what types of hands they bet out on the flop, turn, and river. Percentage of continuation bets, calling c-bets, percentage of pot bet for made hands vs. nothing or a draw, and dozens of other criteria.

After arranging all of the data into a manageable format, I came to the conclusion that player type and general stats, along with current reads works best.

The only stat that is really useful is the amount raised preflop. I can nail people to hands quite often, but everything else gets affected too much by the current situation.

When I move up this will change, but at my current limit, it is not as efficient.

Flame away [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have one of the most comprehensive (automated) note systems there is

[/ QUOTE ]
Do tell.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 PM

I already changed that.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I already changed that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright then....

[ QUOTE ]
I have an extremely comprehensive (automated) note systems

[/ QUOTE ]
Do tell.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 PM

I already gave some examples, PokerAce Hud lists about 30 of the most common ones. Mine has about 150, plus another 200-300 general criteria.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerAce Hud lists about 30 of the most common ones. Mine has about 150

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I am being vague... what are you using? Or is it super secret?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:25 PM

MySQL queries formatted into a manageable PHP display.