Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 AM

Default 5-5 No Limit Deep stack hand

5-5 No Limit game at Foxwoods. EP loose raiser makes it $30, 2 MP players call, several players fold. I am on button with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I make it $150. Blinds fold, EP calls and 1 MP calls. Pot is $500.

I have $7,500 at the start of this hand. Villain (MP) has me covered, and from what I have seen, is pretty loose pre-flop but plays well post-flop, fairly tricky and aggressive. He definitely plays some speculative hands pre-flop so it is difficult to narrow his holding much, even when calling $150 pre-flop.

Anyway, the flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Two checks to me. I bet $400, EP folds, and MP calls fairly quickly. At this point I am thinking a flush draw, probably with two overcards, is his most likely holding.

Pot $1,300. Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks. I bet $800. Villain (again fairly quickly) makes it $2,000.

Hero? If you advocate just a call, I would like to know what you do if faced with a push on the river (assuming the board doesn't pair).
Old 12-20-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: 5-5 No Limit Deep stack hand

villain could be trying to push you off your high cards.

I'd be reluctant to not see a river. I'd probably fold to a push but call a reasonable bet here. He could be putting you on the missed flush draw.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:17 AM

The only hand that beats you at this point is exactly 7-9. I don't know if I can put the villian on that hand with him making the $150 pre-flop call. This looks like a pair and a draw to me, maybe A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] maybe 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but that is a stretch with the pre-flop action.

I think I push. A call doesn't suck, but there are a lot of river cards that will make you throw up. If the river is a brick, I definitely call a river bet. If it is a broadway card. I still call a reasonable bet.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only hand that beats you at this point is exactly 7-9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or 57.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm not sure of his range of hands, given you say he plays some speculative cards. Would he play a suited one gapper for that much out of position pre flop? The only hands here you're in big trouble against are 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You're 22% and 20% against them respectively. Any other holding I think you're in good shape. 84% against AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 95% against an overpair, an underset is drawing real slim, and if that T made him 2 pair, he's drawing dead. I don't like a flat call here, I think it's a push or fold situation. I think I'd shut my eyes and push.

Out of curiosity, is this an uncapped buy-in game? That's pretty deep.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:46 AM

Tough hand, I play in pretty loose 5-10 live game where situations like this come up all the time. As a couple of the previous posters said, two hands you fear here are 9-7 and 7-5. Sounds like villian could have one of the two as well as making a nice semi bluff with flush draw. Don't really like calling b/c if the heart gets there on the river it further complicates your decision. Hopefully you can get a good read off of him, but based on my live play experience, I think you are ahead here more often than you are behind and I would probably push.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Push (depending on villian)....Sets might pay you off and you charge the max for the flush draws. 7-5 and 7-9 are both very possible but you've got to take you're chances. The good news is you've got outs if they have the str8.

I play in that game allot. Do you know the villians name (or have a description)?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Seems possible that villian has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a set worse than yours. Of course, he could also have the str8, but that seems unlikely because he cold-called a biggish raise in MP, and then a much bigger raise from you. So unless it's normal for him to call one or two raises oop with any two cards, then we can probably all but rule out the str8.

So he's either got a pair and the flush draw, or a set.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Puuuush [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 AM

really dope hand.
im gonna AIM AZK and tell him to move this hand to high stakes...
this looks like a call.
OP, any chance MP guy will lay down a straight if a heart comes on the end and u movwe in? do u think he would call a turn push with a set of fours (yes, id assume?)...
if the other guy mves in on a blank river, i would probably call, but it is a v tough spot...
Old 12-20-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems possible that villian has A T or a set worse than yours. Of course, he could also have the str8, but that seems unlikely because he cold-called a biggish raise in MP, and then a much bigger raise from you. So unless it's normal for him to call one or two raises oop with any two cards, then we can probably all but rule out the str8.

So he's either got a pair and the flush draw, or a set.

Puuuush

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a str8 is much more likely than you probably think. This is a deep stack game where people play a lot of crazy crap preflop. And many are capable of laying down sets to a push here (which is an argument for calling).

All that said i like a push too. But it's a grey area and it's a not a good of spot for villain as you seem to think.