Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself

[ QUOTE ]
i love anything by these people.

www.penguinclothing.com

check out the new stuff, and get some nice fall colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call Klepton, but there is a lot by Penguin that doesn't cut the mustard as well. I happen to be wearing a Penguin sweater as I type this response, but I had to comb through a lot of crap to find the quality item I am wearing.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:35 AM

[censored],

I've always had good luck shopping here.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Final advice -- girls dig shoes. I mean they REALLY dig them. And not at all just on themselves. I've heard them countless times saying they judge a man by his shoes and that it's a good idea. In all seriousness. It's the kind of "last detail" that proves to some of them that you're "really" classy or rich or hip or whatever the code words are for it these days. (Along with a good belt, to a far lesser extent.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're still talking about black or browm leather shoes? any particular brands I should look out for? Or will just going to nordstroms etc work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoes make the man, it is a fact. You can dress semi-decent, but the shoes will take it over the top... its a very important accessory that is neglected by the average man.

The key to shoe shopping is leather soles, 90% of the time they will be made in Italy (because the best shoes are always made in Italy). Your signature shoe should never have rubber soles, nor should it be too "clunky"... streamline is the key. Personally I prefer ankle high boots, but they may be a bit too expensive for your budget.

The trick to leather soles is that even though you are buying them for the leather on the bottom, you will never actually wear them that way. Take the to a great shoe repairman to have no slip rubber bottoms installed, your shoes will last for ages with this little bit of extra care.

Another great trick is the shine. Unless you have patent leather shoes, don't do for the "spit" shine, always leave the leather semi-dull. It may make some cobblers look at you cross-eyed, but since you know better than to take fashion advance from someone who has black shoe polish stains on their fingertips its safe to ignore the funny looks cause you will look dashing.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored],

I've always had good luck shopping here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they use for currency there? rubles, euros? or is it a strict barter system?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The key to shoe shopping is leather souls

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck with that, [censored].
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Final advice -- girls dig shoes. I mean they REALLY dig them. And not at all just on themselves. I've heard them countless times saying they judge a man by his shoes and that it's a good idea. In all seriousness. It's the kind of "last detail" that proves to some of them that you're "really" classy or rich or hip or whatever the code words are for it these days. (Along with a good belt, to a far lesser extent.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're still talking about black or browm leather shoes? any particular brands I should look out for? Or will just going to nordstroms etc work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, lots of women know the brands of men's shoes and some can identify them on sight and really dig a certain few brands as being the best. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask some women you know what they think.

You could always trust your own judgment, too. In that case, I'd go for a pair or two of shoes first in the same way you build up a wardrobe or shirts -- get a black dress shoe first, as it will go with so many things. Stay away from the browns until you have at least two or three pairs of nice leather shoes, as they are looked down on by a lot of people who don't know better, and at any rate are often thought to work with nothing but browns even by people who seemingly do know better. Brown is a color that asks for an argument from the snobs and self-appointed fashionistas. Get hip and funky with your shoes only after you have a solid base of more ordinary, versatile ones. For you right now, that means at least a couple pairs of black ones, to start.

To me one of the keys of fashion at a non-trashy level is that minimalism is the soul of class. Get shoes that are not too busy or overdecorative. You don't need the ones that have extra big brass or metal on them, someone's initial, etc. When you think flash or style, think of it as a discrete accompaniment to a solid, elegant underpinning, a detail rather than a main attraction. Unfortunately, these can be harder to find than the cheesy glaring fashions meant to sell to your basic pimp. But people who know better, and that includes women, will recognize subtlety in fashion and appreciate it. It definitely puts you a cut above the average joe goober.

Of course, there will always be the occasional idiot you bump into, like someone my friend was dating who said, "I would NEVER go out with a man who wore loafers!" She wasn't kidding either. For her this was actually important.

See what I mean about women having very strong opinions about men's shoes? It can get pretty unreal.

Btw, loafers are fine with most women, and good versatile shoes overall. No matter what you get, there will always be someone who disagrees with it.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoes make the man, it is a fact. You can dress semi-decent, but the shoes will take it over the top... its a very important accessory that is neglected by the average man.

The key to shoe shopping is leather soles, 90% of the time they will be made in Italy (because the best shoes are always made in Italy). Your signature shoe should never have rubber soles, nor should it be too "clunky"... streamline is the key. Personally I prefer ankle high boots, but they may be a bit too expensive for your budget.

The trick to leather soles is that even though you are buying them for the leather on the bottom, you will never actually wear them that way. Take the to a great shoe repairman to have no slip rubber bottoms installed, your shoes will last for ages with this little bit of extra care.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good tip. Leather soles can wear out very, very quickly. This kind of shoe is not your walking around, doing errands shoe. I've worn out very nice soles this way, which was pretty dumb.

By the way, use either shoe trees, which some advise against because they say they will stretch the shoe out too much, or stuff your good shoes tightly with crumpled up newspapers when you're not wearing them. Every time, right away. Otherwise they will very quickly settle into deep wrinkles that will ruin their look. Think of it as preserving your investment. And good leather shoes can be quite an investment.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember this is stuff for dates and pretty much that only

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to be relaxed and comfortable when on a date. So wearing clothing that you never wear would just make me feel out of sorts.

Buy some new stuff don't violate any of these rules and wear the new stuff on dates but also wear it once a week even if you are not going on a date. Get comfortable in your new threads.

You want to look good without looking like you are trying to hard or faking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah where has this site been all my life. nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably only linked from some gay/metrosexual website.

But it is good advice.

I wish I took it.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 03:28 AM

and how/where does one go about getting these?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:28 AM

One word