Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 PM

Default KK early in Super Monday

Blinds 10/20

T1070

I raise UTG1 with black KK to 55 and get called by guy with T1665 two to my left. All else fold

No reads, other than table had not been overly loose, more on tighter side.

flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet T150, and get raised T350

Pot is now 640 and I have 865 left. Whats my plan?

I am a MTT newb, so please bear with me.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: KK early in Super Monday

I'd probably toss it. Too early in the tournament to take a risk and hope he has AQ.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Don't overbet the flop, 3/4ths- full pot is fine. When he raises you, I'm probably calling, and check/raising any "safe" turn cards. That means only like half the deck I realize, but I think it's better than pushing all in right now, where very few worse hands call.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 PM

i think you need to raise more preflop (t80-100). after that i waver between ansky's flop/turn line and just putting it allin after his raise. i am never folding KK on this flop barring a strong read.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 PM

i think you need to raise more preflop (t80-100).

why? dont I *want* action here?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you don't want to give small pocket pairs good implied odds on hitting their set and busting you. I realize that it sucks to raise big in EP and get no callers with big hands, but you have to do it. The only alternative in EP is to limp, hope you get raised preflop, and if not then be able to lay it down postflop if someone else is aggressive.

I would raise to about 150 with KK. And yes, you do want action with this hand if you play it like this.

You don't want action if you play it like you did because then you can't really put your opponent on any hand...he could have suited connectors, a pocket pair, anything really.

Theres plenty of bad players in these tourneys. Hopefully you'll run into someone overplaying an average hand when you have KK. Or hopefully you'll get lucky and run into QQ or AK.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but no. You got the result you want this time (only 1 caller), but this early in a tournament, especially on Party, a raise that small is liable to get 3 or 4 callers, which you don't want, specifically with a flop like that.

There are a lot of hands villian will show here that either have you drawing thin, or give villian a ton of outs. I'm not thrilled, but I fold this.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you don't want to give small pocket pairs good implied odds on hitting their set and busting you. I realize that it sucks to raise big in EP and get no callers with big hands, but you have to do it. The only alternative in EP is to limp, hope you get raised preflop, and if not then be able to lay it down postflop if someone else is aggressive.

I would raise to about 150 with KK. And yes, you do want action with this hand if you play it like this.

You don't want action if you play it like you did because then you can't really put your opponent on any hand...he could have suited connectors, a pocket pair, anything really.

Theres plenty of bad players in these tourneys. Hopefully you'll run into someone overplaying an average hand when you have KK. Or hopefully you'll get lucky and run into QQ or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what types of raises am i making with JJ/TT and AQs in this spot?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not always want to raise with those. I'll limp one of every five times or so. I'd say when you do raise, until you've gotten a little more experience, have a standard amount in relation to blinds + # of limpers. As you get more confidence in your post-flop play, you can get creative and find your preferred strategy for varying the sizes of your raises.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I make small raises(3x BB) with hands like these because I am very capable of getting away from them postflop, which can't always be said for KK. In EP, I'll even just limp with pocket 10s a lot of the time and play them as if they were small pocket pairs(hope to hit a set, if not then maybe throw out a bet on the flop to try to take it then but otherwise fold to any aggression).