Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Is it possible to bite a chunk out of your arm?

My friend and I were arguing the question of whether or not you could bite a chunk out of your arm. I believe that you couldn’t and that your brain would not let your mouth bite hard enough; that the pain would basically freeze your jaw and that you would not be able to override your brain to tell yourself to bite a chunk out of your arm. Even if there was, a billion dollar proposition bet or something, I don’t think that it is possible.

Has anyone heard of a similar situation, and/or outcome? Who is right? Is my reasoning wrong? Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Is it possible to bite a chunk out of your arm?

ask jamie foxx
Old 09-21-2005, 09:48 PM

I don't know. That dude in Fight Club was able to bust himself up pretty badly. And that really happened, and stuff.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:51 PM

I was told by someone or heard on TV that your jaw has the power to bight off a finger, but your brain won't let you.

I think it may not be just from your own finger pain, but your brain may not let you bite through even a finger on a dead person because it would hurt your mouth, or break teeth. But im just guessing.

rJ
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 PM

It can happen in a life or death situation. There have been plenty of situations where a guy pinned while rock climbing or similar activities has chewed through a body part in order to live to tell about it.

As for a bazillion dollars ... no clue here.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 PM

A year or so ago there were stories in quick succession in the news about a guy who cut off his hand to get out of his flipped over truck in a traffic accident, and a guy who cut off his whole arm to get out of I think a boulder pinned on him in a rock climbing accident. Something like that, anyway. Both people were by themselves for quite a while and it was clear that nobody even knew where they were, much less was coming to help them.

It wasn't just quick cuts; some real work was involved, sawing and such.

If they can pocketknife their way through hands and arms, I'm sure someone can get through a finger.

However, it does sound like a plot for yet another lame show about serial killers on network t.v.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 PM

I see know reason why not. Animals gnaw their own limbs off from time to time. I know a dog that severed his own penis off for no reason. Last year there was that story of that guy who got his hand trapped under a boulder while hiking by himself and cut his own hand off with a pocket knife while drinking his own urine. People induce pain on themselves all the time, why should this be any different?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend and I were arguing the question of whether or not you could bite a chunk out of your arm. I believe that you couldn’t and that your brain would not let your mouth bite hard enough; that the pain would basically freeze your jaw and that you would not be able to override your brain to tell yourself to bite a chunk out of your arm. Even if there was, a billion dollar proposition bet or something, I don’t think that it is possible.

Has anyone heard of a similar situation, and/or outcome? Who is right? Is my reasoning wrong? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your brain will let you pull the trigger on a handgun pressed against your temple but it won't let you bite a chunk out of your arm for a billion dollars.

Do you see how silly your arguement becomes? Sheesh, some people....
Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Yeah, if Elliot Smith can stab himself in the chest multiple times, I think he could've bit his finger off too.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see know reason why not. Animals gnaw their own limbs off from time to time. I know a dog that severed his own penis off for no reason. Last year there was that story of that guy who got his hand trapped under a boulder while hiking by himself and cut his own hand off with a pocket knife while drinking his own urine. People induce pain on themselves all the time, why should this be any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aforementioned Hiker