Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Jacks

2 JJ hands here. PP55. Converter is useless. If someone has another one they use, great. Assume no reads, as I had minimal ones that really don't apply here.

Hand 1: (50/100) 9 players left.
UTG: 1785
UTG+1: 455
Hero: 1275

UTG raises to 300. UTG+1 pushes for 455 total. Folded to me in the SB with JJ. My play?

Hand 2: (25/50) 9 players left.

UTG: 990
MP: 970
Hero: 950

UTG raises to 250. MPish calls. Folded to me in SB with JJ. My play?

In both hands, assume blinds don't go up for at least 5 more hands. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Jacks

1. Fold, you have 12 BB and you're in the SB. He will most likely be called by the original raiser and you have no position. Let it go.

2. Fold, you have no position and that is a ridiculous raise by UTG, just let them do what they have to do. You're in no hurry in lvl 3 at that point.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 AM

In hand 1, my position is really meaningless. Calling is not an option unless I planned on SnGing it but this isn't the place IMO.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Both hands are tough. ugggggg.
I am inclined to push both, thinking I am a 4:1 fav 40% of the time, and even money against 2 overs 60% of the time. In both cases, your getting 3 to 1, and you do have FE so I like the push. The only think that makes me nervouse is the UTG raise in both cases.... in which case, any reads would be valuable. In the end I am pushing both, but not overly thrilled about it.

Sorry you lost both.

J
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 AM

1) I think this depends on read of UTG. I think Stop-N-Go would be bad (I wouldn't push w/ A/K/Q on flop). The only play you can make is to push pre-flop, bu tI would probably fold.

2) I would definitely fold. Laugh when you see 88 vs AJ.

[Edit]These could both change with different player reads.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:23 AM

I think even I can fold JJ here in both hands (when I am on my game).

Hand #1 - both villain's are in EP = stronger hand. UTG has you covered. Both villains probably have either overs and/or pocket pairs. You are in pretty good shape w/ 13xbb... fold.

Hand #2 - 5xbb raise and a cold call, blinds are small, you're in good shape w/ 19xbb... fold.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:25 AM

I was a 8-tabling maniac for about 6 months on the $20's... and was never able to make reads (duh); and played situations and basic ABC poker. Went on a bad run, cut it down to 3 tables, and holy [censored], itm and roi shot up (only over 300 tournies). now that i have the roll in check, i am 2-tabling the $50's and lovin it.

not sure how anyone can 50 table and make any reads; i certainly couldn't and have had much better success dual tabling... with maybe a larger MTT running up top.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Your right. I am of the shool that I would rather push any2 in position, than make a call like this. This kind of laydown has helped my game out emensly. In a $10, I think this is an instant push, $50's others seem to know what they are doing.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Tough- [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It's close, but I like a push in hand 1, given UTG's range AQ+, 88+ and ss 55+, Ax+, KT+.

Hand 2 I'm folding, although as one poster pointed out you're ahead more than you'd think. The deciding factor for me being I don't think you have any FE here against these players. If they made a typical 3x blind raise with one caller I'd push.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: sults

After thinking about it some more, I really think Hand 1 is a tossup between pushing and folding. I'm way ahead of shorty's range, but I think I'm about 50-50 with UTG. If I push though, he might fold hands like 88/99, but then again, if he's raising with those hands, it's unlikely. Hand 2 is a clear fold the more I think about. Few people cold call 5BB/.25 of their stack with marginal hands. Anyways here are the results.

Hand 1: I folded. UTG had AQ, UTG+1 had Ax (x<J)

Hand 2: I folded. UTG had JJ, MP had AT!