Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 PM

Default HOH vol. 1 on sit and goes..

I was just reading through this book and in the short section he has on online satelites he advocates using min raises late in the game. This seems to go against the advice here or maybe I am mis interpretting it.

In the past I have let me big stack dwindle until 10% of my stack or their stack and then started firing. I go from being super tight to pushing any 2 in the sb basically. Should I be min raising instead? How often and when do you min raise?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: HOH vol. 1 on sit and goes..

I rarely minraise. One instant I just encountered where I did was when there was 4 left and I and another player had big stacks (maybe 15bbs), there was one medium one(9bbs) and one small one (4bbs).

My stack was just a little smaller than the other big one and I was in the button, he was small blind and small stack was bb. I wanted to get the small stack heads up but be able to get away if the other big stack popped up with something. (i knew he wasn't smart enough to push any 2 over the top of me cuz he knew i would want to wait out the small stack) So I minraised.

I think this was a fairly specific situation tho and I think I played it decently. However overall I wouldn't advocate minraising.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:48 PM

bump
Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 AM

I found that min-raising works quite nicely in the $11's when you want to risk minimal chips to win the blinds. The players there usually aren't savvy enough to re-raise you unless they have you beat by a lot -- and they're too passive post-flop so it's quite easy to steal the pot from them if they just call. I still wouldn't use it THAT much, but in certain instances I have used it to mix it up. For instance -- if I'm hovering right around 10 BB's with a mediocre hand that I want to try to steal the blinds with but don't want to push (since lower limit players call way too much), I may try the min-raise. In this case it acts both as a preflop 'probe' bet almost as well as an attempted steal. If you get re-raised by most $11 players, you know you can let it go. Also, I would often do it as a big stack if there was a short stack in the BB, where if he calls the raise it will commit his whole stack. It works especially nicely if there's a stack in between the 2 of you that you don't want to get involved with.

Along the same lines, I found that underbetting (<1/2 the pot) is great at lower levels too. They'll let you have it if they don't have much, and they'll re-raise you if they do -- and you dont risk as much to find out. Basically, I find that the $11 players rarely pay attention to your bet sizes.

I haven't tried min-raising at the $22's where I usually play, as I haven't really found the need to. I think it's really advantageous against the right players though to risk minimal chips to win a pot (against passive players at all levels probably). Of course this won't work nearly as well at the higher limits.

Sorry if you don't player the lower levels... I was actually meaning to post something along these lines awhile back before I moved back up to the $22's, but never got around to it.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Along the same lines, I found that underbetting (<1/2 the pot) is great at lower levels too. They'll let you have it if they don't have much, and they'll re-raise you if they do -- and you dont risk as much to find out. Basically, I find that the $11 players rarely pay attention to your bet sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-30-2005, 12:43 AM

whats a min raise????????
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whats a min raise????????

[/ QUOTE ]

the minimum raise, i.e. a raise that doubles the big blind.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:35 AM

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic heh.... generally I think it is weak to min-raise unless you've got the nuts.