Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Odds question...

Hi guys, I am trying to explain to my friend pot-odds, and I can't give him a good explanation of why when you calculate pot odds, you don't include the chances that someone else at the table either has one of your outs or it was already folded. Can someone give me a quick and easy explanation for why you do not include cards that were dealt to other people to adjust your outs, and please dont say because there is an equally likely chance that they do have the card as if they don't. Thanks.

-Obi-
Old 07-03-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Odds question...

Because your opponent's cards are not exposed and you don't know what they are. All unexsposed cards are what you calculate your odds by. If for some reason you do know (ie.. if someone accidentally exposes a card) then you can take it into consideration.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Odds question...

You are including the chance that some of your outs have already been dealt. That's why a gutshot (after the turn) has 4/46 cards that will help it. That 46 includes all the cards you can't see, including cards that other players hold/have folded.

If you neglect to take into account the chance that another player has your outs, then you would calculate the odds for your gutshot to be 4/28 at a 10-handed table. Unfortunately, you'd be grossly overestimating the chances of making your hand on the river.