Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Which is better ROI, 800 chips or 1500 chips..in general

Well I'm an occasional 20/30 SNG at Stars. Online poker is really a hobby for me, for when my live games are running bad. I'm just curious as to how everyone is faring in these different chip counts? At stars, I'll normally 3-4 table, with either 2/2 or 3 20's and a single 30. So I am by no means a spectacular SNG player, but I have been pretty consistent in the last 400-500 SNGs, with a ROI of 16.7%. Now my question is, should I continue to grind it out at stars, with each SNG taking 45-60 mins. Or should I move over to party where I hear the SNGs are much faster, and are more or less a wait for a monster type game. I would have no problem playing a mechanical game at party, if it meant faster SNGs. What buy-in should I start on over there, are the players at those buy-ins fairly similar to stars? I really don't mind playing the occasional sub-par poker, if it means a lot less thinking, and a higher ROI, I'm all for that. What are your experiences between these two chip counts?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Which is better ROI, 800 chips or 1500 chips..in general

More chips = more time for you to get better cards to beat the crappy players = better ROI
Old 12-28-2005, 05:38 AM

The turbos at PS are at least as fast as Party SnGs.

I wonder about the profitability also but have not come to a conclusion. It's probably about the same. I like PS much more than crappy Party, so I stick with them.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 PM

You also have to place in the top 3 in 9 players at PS, as opposed to top 3 in 10 players at PP.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More chips = more time for you to get better cards to beat the crappy players = better ROI

[/ QUOTE ]

you left out the part where this is better ROI if you are a good poker player.

c
Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM

Move to the turbos. They seem to combine the best features of both the Party and Stars regular games. You have more chips with which to outplay the donks in the early levels, then you can quickly switch to pushbot mode.

I only played a few days on Empire before they were murdered, but the Stars turbos seem about as fast as the regular Party games.