Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: The Stars VIP Guessing Game

I know, I'm just exaggerating to make a point. Stars is just so focused on tournament players that I think they're overlooking straight cash game players a bit.

I'm actually not terrible at tournaments, but I really don't have the patience for them.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 PM

So now comes the really tricky question...

If "Everyone knows that 3600 FPP" is roughly equivalent to $530 (give or take your respective SNG skills)... or roughly 15 cents/FPP...

How does Stars design a VIP program that values 1 FPP at > 15 cents ???

It sounds to me like Stars VIP is destined to be a letdown from the get-go!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM

Uh, 3600 FPP isn't worth $530, it's worth $530 / 9 if you're a player of average skill.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 PM

3600 FPP is not equivalent to $530. Not even close. I've heard .07 each and I've heard .05 each...not sure how they did the calculations but they are NOT worth .15 each.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM

I suspect there will be other prizes available for purchase that are not major tourney entries.

Since the previous e-mail said it would be announced with the next few days why is everyone speculating on it.

i'm excited too and I hope it is a favorable structure for me to spend a LOT of time there earning FPP's (major-tourney entries are VERY attractive to me). But we'll find out all the details in the next few days (hopefully) and then will decide from there whether it's a program worthy of bringing our play over there...or not.

I'm not going to make a judgement about whether I'm definitely or probably or probably not bringing my ring-game play over to Stars before I know ANY of the details.

Even if the prizes and FPP structure looks favorable that STILL won't be enough to get me to stay there...because if I go in pursuit of FPP's and then all the tables are nothing but you TAG's and I'm getting clobbered (because I suck) then I'll go running back to wherever I can find more fish if that's what I think is best....FPP-prizes be damned, I need the tables to be profitable in my inept little hands too.

my HOPES are that the prizes are realistically attainable AND the games are profitable enough for me.
but I don't know if there's a 20% chance of that happening or an 80% chance.
We'll see.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 PM

Bob, stop being the voice of reason. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 PM

I emailed Pokerstars a few months back and basically made the argument they should NOT offer rakeback. The reason being that Pokerstars has a very low rake on limit games (relative to the other major players) and I would like to preserve the status quo.

For some confounded reason I suspect there is a 'catch' here of some sort. When I wrote the email mentioned above, they told me I was "definately in the minority" and the only people who agreed with me were management. The vast majority of player remarks were (allegedly) in favor of a rakeback program.

I just hope it isn't rakeback with increased rakes, rakeback with increased sit & go/tournament juice, or (as Microbob pointed out) rakeback with a massive boost in twoplustwo TAG's. As it is, they already slightly adjusted the rake on the microlimits (ex. taking rake in dollar increments on .25/.50 and adding juice on low buy-in tournaments such $3 plus .30).

It seems counterintuitive, but I actually HOPE the VIP plan is geared towards people who play high limits and excludes people like me. I just suspect the profitability of my games could dramatically be reduced. Maybe I'm wrong and it could be the new scheme could be lucrative inspite of attracting more TAG's.

I wrote Pokerstars an email and they wouldn't comment. They just told me I'd be impressed. I won't be impressed if there's a clever attempt to increase rake imbedded in the new plan. Also, I won't be impressed if Pokerstars is inundated with a massive number of savvy 2plus2'ers.

All this being said, I love Pokerstars and hope it continues to deliver the highest quality online poker in the business.

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM

Bob,
Dont you ever touch your presents before Christmas eve? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 PM

That's not all I touch!!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, we do plan to introduce a VIP program (soon) which will give substantial awards to high volume players. For instance, how'd you like to trade your FPPs for a WSOP, PokerStars Caribbean Adventure or European Poker Tour package?

[/ QUOTE ]

ETA:

New announcements will be posted on Stars Jan 2 stating that the VIP program will be established later in the month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the under. Way under. ;-)

The rest, you'll have to watch your inbox for.

Jester