Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-15-2005, 03:18 AM

Default When to move down

Well, since 10/27, I have been 10 tabling the 109s. Everything went well for first 1000, as I had a nice 10% roi. The 500 games after that though have been a nice -10% roi. At first, I just thought it was a normal swing. I am pretty damn sure it isnt though. I am losing a lot more hands than I am supposed to, I think, but I see no reason for this luck to change. I guess it should be noted that I had a -5% 1000 game set of 215s, but I think I was just playing bad then, plus, rakeback covered most of those losses. Anyways, I ran the roi simulator thing and I am supposed to have a 30 buyin drop. Right now, i'm at 40 and it is sucking pretty bad. I guess i am just looking for advice about what to do. I really dont want to drop down to the $55s, but I just might if I keep on losing hard. Sorry for my little rant...I guess I just dont tihnk I can lose for 500 games and still be a winning player.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: When to move down

Slow down, maybe?! 1000 SNG's in two weeks is freakish and could easily lead to burn out. Take a couple of days off.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:27 AM

I'd probably suggest playing fewer tables instead of moving down. Sounds like you just need to double-check your plays, maybe fill in some leaks. You know that you can beat that game, so unless your bankroll needs to move down (which I doubt) or you just need some confidence, there's no real reason to move down.

Maybe 4 table for a few days and really focus on making correct reads/plays on every hand. That and stop posting on 2+2 when you have 8 games going. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:27 AM

thats another thing...i HATE taking days off. I guess I am addicted to the game. I guess I really dont enjoy doing much, and that is obviously a problem. Oh well...I guess i'm just a degenerate gamboooler.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:55 AM

"i HATE taking days off. I guess I am addicted to the game."

Well this is great for your income. I'd love to be able to put in 40hr weeks, but I HATE it. I hate putting in any hours at all. I'm trying to get myself to make 20-30k next month to finish up poker, but it probally won't happen. I can do a hardcore week (eg a 60hr week) but it's too hard to put in 40hrs a week, week after week.

I wanna make a shitload of money over the next 6 weeks so I can finish up on poker. Hard to do when you don't really enjoy it. Maybe I just have to get into the rhythm. Last time I put in big hours I was ok as long as I just kept playing.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats another thing...i HATE taking days off. I guess I am addicted to the game. I guess I really dont enjoy doing much, and that is obviously a problem. Oh well...I guess i'm just a degenerate gamboooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are on the right track here. Investigate further all the points you made above.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:27 AM

Play fewer tables. Work more on your early game.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 AM

my advice would be to drop down to playing 4 to 6 tables. then every 50 games stop and pick 5 to 10 at random and replay them watching for any bad decisions.

I've had a few bad runs that result in low confidence, and a combination of a week off, playing less tables, and reviewing hands has generally helped. If it's a more general burnout question then learning a new game, limit or nl holdem, omaha08, etc can make it interesting again
Old 11-15-2005, 04:47 AM

I'm not burnt out all and I am pretty damn sure I am making the right plays, I am just losing every hand I showdown, and I dont know how to deal with this. If I was playing like a moron, I know how to fix that. I miiight be pushing too much. I will probably slow down a little next time I play and not push as much. I have decided that when I get down to $10,000 in my party account, I am going to drop down to $55s. Right now, I am sitting around 12k and I had about 16k when I started losing. So, if I manage to drop 60 buyins, I will drop down. This sound reasonable to everyone? I guess I am just not used to losing for 5 days in a row. I know it doesnt sound like much, but it sucks when I WAS winning 1k a day for the previous 15 dys or so. Hopefully I have nothing to worry about...but if I do, I want to be prepared for it.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 AM

if over 1500 SnGs you are even at the 100s you have MAJOR leaks