Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: au revoir New Orleans

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck to anyone in its path.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're gonna need it. 200+ Gusts are no joke.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can remember vacuating on several occasions as a child, only to have the hurricane change course at the last minute and head for wherever we had run off to!

[/ QUOTE ]

We did that too. In 1985 we evacuated to Picayune for Elena only to have the eye go straight over us.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:28 PM

I was in Miami for Andrew 13 years ago. Florida is practically "DESIGNED" to handle hurricanes due to the sheer number of them we encounter each year, and even still Andrew was devastating. If you're in New Orleans, get the hell out unless you're a fish.

I am not kidding.

Now is not the time for optimism.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:30 PM

I was just in the French Qurter buying batteries, there are a fair amount of people sticking around, more than you'd think.

I have lots and lots of water, and Im brewing a half gallon of coffee. I couldn't bear to be out of both power and caffeine at the same time.

The mood in the town is even keeled, jokes while people wait in line, and liquor and plywood are both selling fast.

I was house shopping last week, glad I didn't make any decisions yet.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
...but when I was in the supermarket, everyone was so nonplussed it was eerie. It felt just like the pleasant scene in any movie...

[/ QUOTE ]

nonplussed means bewildered, not unaffected

i would definitely leave if i were you, even though the experience of staying would sound like fun
Old 08-28-2005, 02:31 PM

How much good is stocking up on provisions and securing houses going to be if it hits directly in full force? My understanding is if a 4 or 5 hits the city directly, the levees and pumps aren't going to be able to handle it and the city is going to be submerged in water, possibly for a long time.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:34 PM

I grew up on Guam, a tiny speck of a flat island out in the middle of nowhere that got hit full force by typhoons like this all the time. To tell you the truth, these huge storms were some of the most exhilirating and intense experiences of my life, but the scary undertone sometimes leaped up right into your face.

We were told that the strongest part of the house is the plumbing when it comes to things like this, so you should go to the bathroom and grab on to the pipes connecting your toilet or the toilet itself. I remember many nights when it sounded like the whole world was going to explode that my entire family sat huddled in one bathroom in the dark with a candle or two. It was magical, terrifying, and a little weird.

I definitely wouldn't take a 175 mph hurricane lightly. The wind starts tossing cars and big pieces of houses around at that intensity. I read that parts of New Orleans are below sea level and that their levees are made to withstand at most a Category 3 storm, and this is a Category 5, and also that tornadoes can be generated on landfall. Some serious stuff, and major flooding. If you can get out and spend a couple nights in a hotel, do it.

As to the fellow above saying the water can hang around for a long time -- I remember one hurricane in Guam dumped so much water that it took six months for it all to drain away in some places. One part of the orchard next to our house had four feet and more of water in it for about that long.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:38 PM

I'm staying too. I could have left with friends for houston yesterday, but preferred to try to get more work done at home. May not happen. But I'm in one of the massive old warehouses in the w'house dist. I don't think there's any risk of major structural damage, but I really hope my windows don't get blown out. I face south, and I have all the GNO ramps right in front of me so hopefully that buffers wind which hopefully won't be right into me. If the windows blow, I'll just go to the hall. If the water comes up more than 20 feet, I'll just go to the third floor hall. A couple other friends staying will have their boat ready to ride, so I'll be able to exit by my window on Tuesday. We've got the week off for law school. and I guess maybe we'll have the whole semester off. too bad there's no way the building is going to board up the hundreds of huge windows. I wish I'd thought to do it from the inside yesterday.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Global warming is coming home to roost with this puppy. Take a look at this monster:

http://www.wunderground.com/data/640...g1_ir_anim.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to debate either side of global warming, but I heard that the increased hurricane frequency had nothing to do with global warming--and not that that was even a subject of dispute. no? or are you just guessing?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:41 PM

You know how hurricanes got bad all of the sudden?

Well expect them to get worse

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~tk/glob_warm_hurr.html