Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Default BET THE TURN???

A friend of mine played this hand last night at Hollywood Park. The game is NL....$100 buy in...blinds are 2 and 3. UTG, UTG+1, MP+1, my friend holding JcTc on the button, and the BB all limp. 5 to the flop. Pot is $12

Flop is Ts 6h 5d

BB with $100 leads for $6. UTG with $150 calls. UTG and UTG+1 fold. My friend with $95 raises to $25. BB folds, UTG calls. Pot is $68.

Turn is 8s

UTG checks...my friend checks.

River is Kh

UTG bets $30 and my friend folds. UTG shows Ah8c.

I told him that in my opinion checking the turn was absolutely incorrect. First he may have the best hand, secondly he gives a free card that could beat his vulnerable one pair hand. This incorrect check then allowed UTG to successfully cause the best hand to fold. Any thoughts??? Was my suggestion to bet the turn correct??
Old 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: BET THE TURN???

checking behind is terrible. UTG knows that your buddy is unlikely to bet the turn without a good holding, so if he has something he will bet out.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:16 PM

I don't hate the turn check to keep the pot small if you don't fear the guy overbetting the river, which he didn't. But fold on that river? Are you kidding? Why did he raise the flop if he intended to check the turn through and fold to a river bet of half the pot???

I'd have raised to $18 on the flop, then led $30 on the turn with the intention of checking the river. Though I don't mind raising to $25 and then trying to induce the bluff on the river.

- C -
Old 03-14-2005, 12:18 PM

horrible fold on the river