Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: DC & Minneapolis residents please help

[ QUOTE ]

I go out quite often in DC, (I live in MD), I hate politics, and dont understand why you would think the social life revolves around politics? The night life is great in DC. The only thing I would have to say is the places could stay open later into the night.

Georgetown has plenty of bars, restaurants and places to go out to. If you dont like the "psuedo-upscale" places on M-street, go to Mid-town or Adams Morgan. If these places dont suite your need, Alrington (just outside DC) has pretty much anything you want. There are plenty of college grads living in and around Arlington, with plenty of bars for every type of fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only non-pool hall place I really like is The Black Cat and it can even be hit or miss. If you know anything else like Black Cat (doesn't need live music, just the same clientele and feel) though, I'm all ears.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Minnesota's winters won't be a problem for me. I went to school for 5 years in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so I know all about long cold winters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tech or NMU? Either way, winter in Da UP is NOT equal to winter in Minneapolis. I spent 5 years at Tech. Yeah, it snows every damn day, but it never gets particularlly cold. And when it does, it doesn't last.

I've been in Minneapolis now for 9 years. It's pretty common to have a week go by in Minn where it doesn't get above -10 or -20. It sucks the life out of you.

[ QUOTE ]
Minnesota residents-Do any of you own condos? It looks like I should be able to find a decent 1 bedroom for around 180k. Does this sound about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about what I paid for my townhouse.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 PM

What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Bar? Pub? Live Music?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Bar? Pub? Live Music?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The only non-pool hall place I really like is The Black Cat and it can even be hit or miss. If you know anything else like Black Cat (doesn't need live music, just the same clientele and feel) though, I'm all ears.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Minnesota's winters won't be a problem for me. I went to school for 5 years in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so I know all about long cold winters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tech or NMU? Either way, winter in Da UP is NOT equal to winter in Minneapolis. I spent 5 years at Tech. Yeah, it snows every damn day, but it never gets particularlly cold. And when it does, it doesn't last.

I've been in Minneapolis now for 9 years. It's pretty common to have a week go by in Minn where it doesn't get above -10 or -20. It sucks the life out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

NMU, my last winter up their the avg Jan & Feb tempature was a shade under 0 F. Sounds like Minn gets colder, but I don't think the adjustment for me will be as big as for others.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:30 PM

With that description I dont think I am much help. Ive never been to The Black Cat but judging from their website its a alternative band style club. Claredon Ballroom has some live and non-live music with a good variety. Plus they have a deck upstairs on the roof thats good to great to get away from the loud music. The cover bands here play mostly mainstream rock/pop. CLaredon Grill is good for bands and dj's alike. In the winter they have an outside area with space heaters on the ceiling.

If you havent been to Adams Morgan there is pretty much a place for any type of person. Theres a lot of different cultural bars in this area.

Sorry If I am of no help to you.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a plus for DC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge plus for DC. New York, Baltimore, Philly, AC, Research Triangle, all within 250 miles. That radius from Twin Cities gets you to Iowa City or Madison.

[ QUOTE ]
Baltimore is 1 hour although I don't know why you'd go there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer used to be baseball at Camden Yards.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:41 AM

you cannot compare the music scenes of the two, regardless of taste, dc will have more of what you want. if you like non mainstream music, this is even more true. read the washington post online for an idea of the options.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:46 AM

Avg high in June is 85. July, 89. August, 87.

-d
Old 11-01-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can anybody comment on DC's music scene?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like go-go?