Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Why Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
dont know if this working yet as its a long term project - not sure what the poker equivalent is but i do think the last thing someone such as yourself should do is study the analytical aspects of the game harder

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very good advice. A lot players are totally focused on understanding how to do but not very good at telling why they do it. I do some coaching in poker and I think what is valuable is not telling someone how they should do but why, the structure behind it all.

Have a question for another post u did in this thread. U said u always loved games u cant master, but they day u understand how to do it, u stop doing it. What do u think about games that a computer can master or games where there is a correct answer to the question: "How do I do in this situation?"

I played a little backgammon and find it very interesting. I read some books and the strategy behind it is very much like poker. But I really dont like the idea that at every given moment I can put it all in a computer and it will play it to the end and tell me what is the best move. (like in poker, this is of course only the best move as long as the other guy is as good as the computer and always doing the correct countermove).

(I would say the same is true of poker, if a computer knew every hand Phil Helmuth ever played it wouldnt be to hard writing a program that would crush him headsup.)
Old 07-08-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For people who say money period, does that mean you will be quitting poker as soon as you have enough capital/education/experience to devote your time to business where the net profit potential is much much higher?

[/ QUOTE ]

i will greatly reduce time spent playing online
Old 07-08-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
money

perhaps more accurately, make enough money and still have 20 hours left each day to do what I want. plus I can (in theory) play anywhere so I am not restricted geographically.

so it is all about the money - but only because I can play where and for how long I want and choose my $$/time.

hopefully later this year I can secure some land and start a smallholding. live in a tipi for a year or two while we fix up the derelict old barn. it has its own spring, looks out over a beautiful bay, has no nearby houses yet is only a short walk from the town I currently live in. all I have to worry about is getting the satellite connection and setting up a source of electricity (wind/sun). the rest should be easy...

ha-ha. it might just happen. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Naphand blatantly stole my idea. However, he missed one key detail. You need get away from the shitty weather [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

I plan on Spain. Dartmouth is nice though - if I stay in this country I'm going SW.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
D
Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dane,

I should note that flexibility and my need to work short hours because of my health are also important. However, money is very important to me because I never had any before poker and aside from poker I have no options. I would not play poker for the competition/enjoyment if I did not make money.

I plan to move into investing/business later when I have sufficient capital.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, someone who is honest besides myself. Poker is about $$$$. If you want the accolades of others why not provide food for the hungry?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:45 AM

you interested in permaculture?

and hey, the weather here is great. I lived in Scotland for 8 years!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you interested in permaculture?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed this meant things like the Pyramids, Da Vinci's Last Supper, and Shakespeare. Then I looked it up and found out it means composting. Yuck!

/mc
Old 07-08-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy the competitiveness of it as well, but if it weren't for the money I would feel like I was wasting time.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i read the title before opening and mentally answered the question with "because its a competitive game" - since childhood i have addictively played games - some games you can master and once i do i go from having to play them virtually everyday for a big chunk of the day to never playing them again overnight - arcade games were the early victims - other games you never master and that creates a conundrum for me because i cant stop playing them so now i have a couple of accumulated addictions of which poker is 1

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i can beat something i can bet on i always eventually do - horses, sports, and various card games are all long term winners for me now although i have all but given up horses because over the last 20 odd years it takes a lot of work to beat - but it did provide me with a living for several years in my late teens and early twenties

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe we were twins sperated at birth
Thanks for writing mine for me Stripsqueez
Old 07-08-2005, 03:04 PM

cough...cough [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

composting? no. it means none of that chemical crap you yanks stuff into your food to make look good. you know, all the kind of stuff that your prez. refuses to talk about as his pals all own shares in the oil companies.

any volunteers to help us construct our composting toilet (tree-bog)?