Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Default General Q, late, bit short, live, KQo, push vs limpers?

Hi, I'm new to MTT's. From memory: My image is tight or no image at all due to 3 players just moved to table. I have KQo on the button. 2 or 3 limp to me. Top 7 pay w maybe 30 left. This is a supersatelite here in St. Kitts. My stack is big enough that I certainly have fold value and I think I have a fair bit of fold value but my stack is small enough that if I don't start getting delt some great hands the blinds will reduce my stack such that fold value is basically gone and I wont survive. Not sure, maybe 5-10 bbs left(maybe more) and actually a medium(or just under) stack at the table as we had a drunk slowing us down-our table didn't break in over 5 hours.

I was tempted to push but decided to be patient. Is pushing a reasonable play here or a manditory play or not recommended at all?

Maybe similarily, A7o late folded to me, I'm 2 off button at a similar point in tourney as mentioned above - I was tempted to push, is that ok? I saw others commit all in w such a hand - and even worse of course.

thanks very much, sorry this is so long and from memory.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: General Q, late, bit short, live, KQo, push vs limpers?

IMO, comes down to the limpers.
Were they moved, or are they aware of your image?
A (good) player just moving to the table prob won't call you without a read or a monster.
Additionally, what is your read on the limpers?

I think in many situations I would push this, unless I feel a) one of the limpers would limp 88-AA and b) would call a push w/ 88-1010
Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 PM

The first limper is the most important, he's probably the only one who has the potential to trap. Anyone else limping behind would have probably raised to prevent a multi-handed pot. If you know the first limper can limp with trash like JQ etc... then definitely do it. Many players like to limp in w/ medium pairs and these hands will almost always call you unless its a good player who can get away from a hand like that and respects your tight image. Even then, you likely a coin flip which is probably worth the risk to try and pick up all that dead money. You'll rarely run into a big pair if you pay attention to your players and know the first limper's style. I'd probably stay away from the play if the limper seems real tight. I like using the play as long as I don't do it too often where people will start making calls w/ 55 and 66 etc... In addition, don't be afraid to try this play with hands like AA or KK (the huge raise...) people are always suspicious especially at cheap buy in events. Hands like medium suited connecters are also good for this play because the right image can and right first limper creates huge fold equity and even if you are called you'll be live and probably only a 3:2 dog rather then being dominated with a hand like KQ or KJ. If you've done this play before make sure you have the goods the next time around.

I like this kinda play, it has busted me out of tournaments when I coulda just waited but I think it has helped me more than it has hurt me.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM

awesome, thanks, I was only considering this due to my stack size. The way you make it sound it's a decent play with large-huge stack size too, no? or is it not worth the risk in this case?

thanks

also, is is common a an early position limper w 99 to call a raise all in? It seemed pretty common here (tho i folded it once as the best hand, haha, vs 88 and 44) and I thought many such players crazy.