Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Why Do Jews Reject Jesus?

I'm not heading anywhere with this. I am just curious. Their reason can't be the same as agnostics obviously. Or even the same as members of a religion that don't predict a messiah. So what is the official reason that present day religious Jews, who think that the messiah will one day appear, give as to why that messiah was not Jesus?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Why Do Jews Reject Jesus?

Does there have to be an official reason? He was crucified by Jews for claiming he was the messiah 2000 years ago. Of course, Christianity has spread since then, but for what reason along the way would Judaism have adopted the notion that he was the actually the messiah?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 PM

There are several reasons why Jews reject the idea that Jesus was the Messiah. According to the Tanach (Torah, Book of Prophets, and Book of Writings - all three make up the Chumash..the "equivalent" of the Christian Bible), the Messiah will come at a time that could be predicted, and would accomplish certain tasks.

Included in the tasks:
*rebuilding of the Third Temple (the Western Wall in Jerusalem is one of Judaism's most holy sites and was the outter wall of the Second Temple)
*reuinte all the Jewish people in the land of Israel
*bring in the "Messianic Era" an era with no war, disease, oppression, hatred, suffering, cruelty, etc.
*Unite the entire human people as one entity, all of who believe in the one God and follow His words as said in the Tanach,

Some requirements for the Messiah
*Be a descendant of King David
*He must be fully Torah observant

Additionally, the Messiah can only come when majority of Israel is occupied by observant Jews.

Of note, there have been several faux-Messiahs. One example was several hundred years ago in Poland, one man believed he was the Messiah, and convinced many others he was too. They ended up selling all of their posessions, only to later find out he was a charlatan.

I've taken some sources from my personal knowledge, and some various places on the internet.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion. Obviously from what I said above, it is evident that Jesus was not the Jewish Messiah.

(Additionally, Jews do not believe in the virgin birth, cruification, etc. Nor do we believe that the Messiah will be the son of God. )
Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Mr. Skalansky,

You might find the following link helpful:

http://www.faithless.org/community/i...showtopic=4134

[ QUOTE ]

Since the New Testament writers could not fool the Jews into believing these concocted claims, they turned their evangelizing efforts to the Greeks and other non-Jews who had no detailed knowledge of God's laws as defined by the Old Testament. Non-Jews had little or no interest in looking up God's laws in the Jewish scriptures to see if they matched the claims of the Christian writers.

The final irony is that over the centuries millions have swallowed the bait, hook, line and sinker without ever looking at what the Old Testament actually says. Christian believers don't even submit these New Testament claims, which they declare as God's word to the world, to even basic scrutiny. Candy coated salvation, concocted priesthoods, and improper sacrifices may please the senses but they do not stand up to the requirements as set down in the Old Testament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 PM

Sounds like they're gonna be waiting for a loooong time.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like they're gonna be waiting for a loooong time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be true..but do I believe it will one day happen? Yes I do. Do I think it will be in the next thousand years? Probably not.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM

"Since the New Testament writers could not fool the Jews into believing these concocted claims, they turned their evangelizing efforts to the Greeks and other non-Jews who had no detailed knowledge of God's laws as defined by the Old Testament. Non-Jews had little or no interest in looking up God's laws in the Jewish scriptures to see if they matched the claims of the Christian writers.

The final irony is that over the centuries millions have swallowed the bait, hook, line and sinker without ever looking at what the Old Testament actually says. Christian believers don't even submit these New Testament claims, which they declare as God's word to the world, to even basic scrutiny. Candy coated salvation, concocted priesthoods, and improper sacrifices may please the senses but they do not stand up to the requirements as set down in the Old Testament."

A Jewish Not Ready! Cool!

(Surely the case could not be so clearcut given the thousands of well meaning Christian scholars who know the Old Testament like the back of their hand.)
Old 07-06-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(Surely the case could not be so clearcut given the thousands of well meaning Christian scholars who know the Old Testament like the back of their hand.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of things in Christianity that I think are obvious errors (sun standing still for Joshua, Paul's Cretan comment, Jesus Barabas, etc), but scholars always seem to find interesting ways to explain them away.

I don't mean to pick on Christianity, but I've never completely read the Torah or Koran.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:06 AM

Hi David:

End of Days prophecies associated with the Jewish messiah include:

1. Israel re-established as a nation.
2. Universal knowledge of God.
3. Return of remnants of all lost tribes to Israel.
4. No more war.
5. No more disease.
6. Israel becomes most important country in the world.
7. Recognition that the Jews had it right all along by kings of the nations.
8. City of Damascus is obliterated.
9. Resurrection of the dead.
10. Reconstruction of the Temple.

And there are others. None of these occurred during the First Century AD. In fact, in some cases the opposite happened. Thus Jesus doesn't meet the requirements.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-06-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi David:

End of Days prophecies associated with the Jewish messiah include:

1. Israel re-established as a nation.
2. Universal knowledge of God.
3. Return of remnants of all lost tribes to Israel.
4. No more war.
5. No more disease.
6. Israel becomes most important country in the world.
7. Recognition that the Jews had it right all along by kings of the nations.
8. City of Damascus is obliterated.
9. Resurrection of the dead.
10. Reconstruction of the Temple.

And there are others. None of these occurred during the First Century AD. In fact, in some cases the opposite happened. Thus Jesus doesn't meet the requirements.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost got all of it. In the year 6000 the messiah is believed to automatically come, regardless of whether or not any requirements are met.