Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 PM

Default How much is too much?

so, i used to play 5/10 6 max, beating it at a decent click. then i had to drop down to 3/6 6 max because of bankroll issues. I was then beating that at a nice 3.5BB/100 over the first 20k hands. now, all of the sudden i have hit a break-even stretch over the last 15k hands. i'm just wondering how normal this is, or what the hell is going on. also, has anyone noticed a change in the quality of play. is there any signs that people are getting better/worse, or that online poker is going to get tougher in the near future?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: How much is too much?

[ QUOTE ]
so, i used to play 5/10 6 max, beating it at a decent click. then i had to drop down to 3/6 6 max because of bankroll issues. I was then beating that at a nice 3.5BB/100 over the first 20k hands. now, all of the sudden i have hit a break-even stretch over the last 15k hands. i'm just wondering how normal this is, or what the hell is going on. also, has anyone noticed a change in the quality of play. is there any signs that people are getting better/worse, or that online poker is going to get tougher in the near future?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was then beating that at a nice 3.5BB/100 over the first 20k hands. now, all of the sudden i have hit a break-even stretch over the last 60k hands. i'm just wondering how normal this is, or what the hell is going on. also, has anyone noticed a change in the quality of play.

Theres how I was.

[censored] happens
Old 09-20-2005, 06:49 PM

You have a lot to learn about varience
Old 09-20-2005, 07:09 PM

you mean variance? i've played over 150k hands now, so i'm somewhat familiar with it. my question is not related to how variance is going to effect my BB/100. I am asking experienced 3/6 6 maxers for input on how consistent, or inconsistent for that matter 3/6 can be, and at what point do they stop to re-adjust their seemingly quality play.
p.s. posting "you have a lot to learn about variance" is completely unhelpful and plain silly - especially when you spell "variance" wrong.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you mean variance? i've played over 150k hands now, so i'm somewhat familiar with it. my question is not related to how variance is going to effect my BB/100. I am asking experienced 3/6 6 maxers for input on how consistent, or inconsistent for that matter 3/6 can be, and at what point do they stop to re-adjust their seemingly quality play.
p.s. posting "you have a lot to learn about variance" is completely unhelpful and plain silly - especially when you spell "variance" wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry if my post came off insulting but when you ask if a 15K break-even stretch might have something to do with the games getting worse I get skeptical.

You also decided to include your winrate over 20K hands which really doesn't mean all of that much so it seemed to me your understand of variance (sorry) left a bit to be desired. I suppose I could be wrong.

To answer your question, yes you can expect breakeven stretches like that, and longer including prolonged downswings. This doesn't mean that the 3/6 game or online poker in general is getting worse. That is just normal standard deviation in a very swingy game.

There has been no indication (at least to me) that online poker is getting any worse or will get worse anytime soon.

From the looks of it, and the general sentiment around this forum, the 3/6 games is still extremely soft.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 PM

Stop whining and get rakeback.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now, all of the sudden i have hit a break-even stretch over the last 15k hands. i'm just wondering how normal this is, or what the hell is going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's abnormal if this doesn't happen once in a while.