Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Default 4-8 live game with JJ in MP

This hand was played at a small club in NYC. It was a 7-handed must move 4-8 game. The villain in this hand is a very good tricky player, playing in the 4-8 while he waited for his seat in the 10-20. Though I've never seen him play, my buddy (whose read I trust) has alerted me to the fact that he is good and tricky. Here is the hand:

Preflop:

I'm dealt JJ (suits unimportant) in middle position. UTG calls folded to me, and I raise. Villain in CO+1 seat calls 2 bets cold, blinds fold, and UTG calls. 3 players in with 7.5 sb in the pot

FLOP 9 8 3 rainbow

UTG bets, I raise, villain 3-bets, UTG calls two, I cap, all call. Pot is now 19.5 sb

Turn 9-8-3-5 completing the rainbow

UTG checks, I bet, villain raises, UTG folds, I...

What would you put the villain on? And what would you do?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: 4-8 live game with JJ in MP

Villain could have a set, two-pair, A9, TT, or a "tricky" higher overpair, or some other crap. Just call down with the pot this big.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: 4-8 live game with JJ in MP

I'd put him on a set or AA.

I really don't think he has TT-KK. I definitely don't think he has A9.

A lot of tricky players like to preflop limp AA in late position in a pot that's going to be short-handed. If he had TT-KK, I think he'd 3-bet preflop.

I think you played this fine. Call the turn raise. Check-call the river. Unless you river a set. Then check-raise. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 07:28 PM

Default RESULTS

I ended up calling the raise (begrudgingly), and then check-called the rag river. At which time he tabled the 67s for the turned nuts. How does everyone feel about how villain played his hand? All comments appreciated.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

The Villain is silly and was probably thinking how he shouldn't do this at 10-20 so maybe he can get away with it at 4-8.

Cold-calling with suited connectors when it's not a multi-way pot and he has absolutely no high card power? Even if UTG raised and the table were filled with cold-calls, SSHE recommends only calling with QJs-98s.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Villain's preflop call is obviously atrocious, rest of his hand is fine. I probably wouldn't have 3-bet the flop like he did if I thought UTG was capable of dropping for another two cold on the flop (+ a potential cap from you), but it's probably fine, especially since if he gets it heads up with you there's apparently some chance you're folding to a turn bet and it likely buys him a free turn card (though he probably would have bet.)

His turn raise is good with the nuts, as is his river bet with the nuts.

You played this hand perfectly, BTW. Don't worry about this one.