Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 05:44 PM

Default scott fischman\'s new site

So, I was reading Fischman's latest CP article, and I started thinking "he doesn't sound like such a bad guy, he sure does get a lot of flack for nothing"

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...php?a_id=14726

then, i got to the end of the article and clicked on his new site, www.thefishtank.com

my comments
1)dumbest name for a poker room ever
2)that was the worst flash intro i've ever seen...I would figure that the webpages 7th and 8th graders make upon their intro to the internet could design a better intro
3)so I guess they used that infamous pic of "the crew'...so "gank" was photo-chopped out huh
4) what does it mean to be part of the Doyle Brunson Poker network? Same games/players as Doyles room (like empire/party, and all the prima poker games?)
5) why do all these players think they have enough sway to carry a site? how much traffic can these mid-level poker "celebrities" bring in? Seems that even though negreanu is a big name, still hasn't brought success to Poker Mountain. Then you have Arieh pimping Bodog, gus hansen with his own site, etc. Odd that the #1 poker room (party) doesn't seem to have any professional sponsors.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: scott fischman\'s new site

[ QUOTE ]
Odd that the #1 poker room (party) doesn't seem to have any professional sponsors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they have Kathy Liebert - I'm not sure if they have anyone else though.

On a somewhat related note, I just played a quick freeroll on Gus Hansen's new site to try it out - the interface is bad, but only because it's too busy (unlike Party's or UBs, which is just atrocious all-around) - PokerChamps interface isn't very good, but at least its kinda neat to look at, like a day-trader's wet dream or something.

In any event, the people playing the freeroll there have to be the fishiest I have ever seen in my life. I have never gone all-in as a short stack with 10 big bets in a tournament and gotten cold-called by a 10-7, then overcalled by a 10-9, then called again by a Q4. I guess they just couldn't bring themselves to lay those monsters down. My goodness.

But I digress.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:29 PM

mike sexton does ads for them
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 PM

that's right, I had forgotten about that.

So they've got two semi-poker celebrities on their roster then.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:48 PM

haha HA! Damn man, you're right. That is bar none the worst flash intro that I've ever seen. So cliched and cheesy and they didn't try to make it look nice at all either. Wow, I wouldn't even trust playing there for play money. I'd be worried it would go missing. That is so low budget.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is bar none the worst flash intro that I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I just hope this isnt the new incarnation of boyd's rakefree cardroom idea. Every time someone mentions how that kid went to law school at age 9 or whatever the hell it is, I like to remind them of the rakefree utopia he kept advocating as evidence that he can't be that smart, since he apparently doesn't know anything about basic economics.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my comments
1)dumbest name for a poker room ever
2)that was the worst flash intro i've ever seen...I would figure that the webpages 7th and 8th graders make upon their intro to the internet could design a better intro

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite enjoyed the article, nothing groundbreaking, but certainly grounded, and thats a good thing.

As for the site, yes the name is soooo bad.

As for the intro, i was watching it, and agreeing that it was indeed ameteurish.

It reminded me of this site which my friend started creating back when we were 15. Recognise a similarity between intros?

As it happens, look out for the 'Boom' which funnily enough was his catchphrase as well, remember this was back when we were 15 however. Hes moved on.

Phill
Old 05-19-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recognise a similarity between intros?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, your friends' flash intro is 100x better.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:26 PM

It could at LEAST be thefischtank.com
Old 05-20-2005, 02:07 AM

not a bad site.