Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 AM

Default \"One of a Kind\" The Stu Ungar Story....Dont buy this book!

This book is the most addictive thing I've ever read. I bought this book less than a week ago. I wouldve bought it earlier but it was unavailible in my town so I had to order it.

Let me tell you I have done nothing but slamm Heinekens and binge on percocets and valiums since I started reading this book. For 3 days straight I havent sleep. Its that disturbing.

See, I've been a big fan of Stuey for a long time. I started reading this book and read about 100 pages in the first day (about a third of the book). After that I was gripped and trying to live out the story in my own world. I wanted to live right along w/ Stuey as I read the book and as the desperation and dispare grew so did my alcohol and drug intake.

I can tell you, today was my dads birthday and I didnt even call him. I was to intangled in the book. Nevermind that I havent talked to him in 3 years...that [censored]...but whatever....I was still going to call him. I read this book for hours and all I have done today is read and play poker. This book is like a demon.....I lost over $600 tonight playing online and laughed at the loss.

This book makes you a different person and changes you in a way you wouldve never thought. I've been awake for 3 days straight playing poker and watching the 97 WSOP on tape over and over again. Nothing else seems to really matter except living the story right along w/ the kid. The final 4 chapters are sickening yet extremely exiting and disturbing and have really increased my alcohol and perscription pill intake.

I guess my love for Stuey goes back to the mid 90's when I first learned about him.....then when I went to the WSOP in 03.....I actually paid down one of Stueys depts. I met a man at the horseshoe who said he knew Stuey from back in the day and they smoked crack together. Whatever he told me whether truth or not it seemed real. This man named Tony said Stuey owed him about $100 for drugs. Even tho Stuey was dead I believed him. After I won a satelite I paide the junkie $120 for Stueys dept. He was more than grateful. I feel a part of Stueys life by paying that dept.

I Cant tell you how much this book really grips a person but all I can say is I've been awake for more than 72 hours straight and have been drinking and doing painkillers and playing online trying to live the story right along w/ Stuey in the book

WOW!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: \"One of a Kind\" The Stu Ungar Story....Dont buy this book!

I was scratching my head at your use of "dept" until I realized you really meant "debt." Anyways, uhh, good on ya or something.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Who is this Stuey and what is this poker and why are we talking about it here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 AM

the cowgirls are terrible.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 AM

I haven't read the stuey book but you should check out the amarillo slim book.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 AM

awesome post.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 AM

Stuey owes me money, PM me for payment details.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 AM

Ok, first of all, from reading this post, I really want to get this book because I'm a sick(psychologically) person and would probably enjoy it from the review you just gave it.

I, like you, seem to get so into things sometimes that I act out crap that I see in the movies. This a mental problem, dude and after doing it for about 2 years, I realized it.

When I saw Cape Fear for the first time, I would act out like I was DeNiro and do impersonations of him. I got pretty good but that is representative of some psychological problems. Anyway, I went on to Fight Club, and then the Matrix. Anyway, it's something I'm dealing with but I'll probably end up getting this book. Just wanted to let you know not to take it too far.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM

Sure glad you didnt start your reading with Madona's Biography.