Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Default UNBELIEVABLE!!! Best Live Poker Move EVER!!

Just got back from Vegas, playing mostly at the Imperial Palace due to the comps. The following came up in the $100 max $1/$2 No Limit game.

It's down to heads up action after the flop; action between Player 1 and Player 2. River card brings a third diamond for a potential flush. Player 1 is first to act on fifth street and instantly pushes all in. Player 2 calls time, and says to Player 1 "you like your flush, eh?" Player 2 then declares he "IS NOT MUCKING." Player 2 proceeds to expose his hole cards to Player 1...Player 2 has a baby flush and is worried about a higher flush. After seeing Player 2's flush, and BEFORE Player 2 calls the all in bet, Player 1 exposes his hole cards and shows top two pair. Seeing Player 1's hole cards, Player 2 instantly calls and claims the pot is his with the flush.

Player 1 jumps up and screams for the floor. Player 1 argues emphatically that Player 2's hand is dead because he exposed his cards. Player 1 argues the hand is live and that exposing cards is perfectly fine, heads up, in non-tournament play.

I'll tell you how the floor ruled, following a few friendly comments. Since I think this is one of the best live poker moves I've seen, I think you can venture a wager as to how the floor ruled!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!! Best Live Poker Move EVER!!

Both hands are live, push the pot to the flush.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:38 PM

When a few of us play, although clearly not in a true B&M setting, we use "flipping for reaction all the time" where the player who is potentially calling an all-in flips over his hand to see for a reaction. We've once had a player turn over his hand even though the potentiall caller clearly stated he was not mucking, and we allowed the player who flipped for a reaction to take down the pot seeing that he had won.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:42 PM

almost every room out there allows you to expose your cards if it's heads up in a cash game, as the action doesn't affect any third party. However, be careful, I have played in a few rooms who don't make a distinction between cash game rules and tourney rules.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the hand is live and that exposing cards is perfectly fine, heads up, in non-tournament play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 PM

i really hate people doing this....i've never played nl in a B&M but I think if I push, everytime i'll just get up from the table and move away till he decides what to do.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:02 PM

For what it's worth, I think this is angle-shooting of the worst kind which is very much against the spirit and the etiquette of the game. Some may disagree, but I think that this kind of "great move" should generally be discouraged. For that reason, I actually wish most places would declare intentionally exposed hands dead just to keep people from pulling annoying stuff like this.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Interesting in that the one and only time I played at Imperial Palace some guy did this exact same thing to me.

However, a 3rd player was in. The board read A-7-6-8. The action on the turn went bet, raise all in by the guy on my right, reraise all in by me. The guy who bet first agonized for a while, then flipped over his A7 while continuing to stare me down. I asked, "are you mucking??" and then he immediately called.

I had A8 so it was all good, but should the dealer have killed his hand?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 PM

in my experience, the people who do this are generally table captain type douche bags. nothing bothers me more than the arrogant poker player that knows he is so much better than everybody else at the table that he has to constantly do flamboyantly gay moves like this. this same guy thinks for entirely too long about very obvious moves, stacks his chips for a preflop raise and then calls, tells everybody after a hand that he KNEW that guy had that hand, and consistently talks about online poker. he is a virus.

-Jihad
Old 07-28-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in my experience, the people who do this are generally table captain type douche bags. nothing bothers me more than the arrogant poker player that knows he is so much better than everybody else at the table that he has to constantly do flamboyantly gay moves like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

Playing last night, the floor should have pulled up a chair at the NL table next to ours because three table captains were constantly harrassing the dealer, debating the legality of certain bets and calls and calling winners then complaining when the dealer actually took time to verify the hands and didn't immediately shove the pot in their direction.

If you have to resort to gimmicks and other BS to take down a pot, you aren't much of a poker player.