Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Default ESPN faked Set of Tens Laydown

Hi, I've been a lurker on here for a while and i think that I have something to add to the discussion of Tommy Reed's laydown of a set of Tens on ESPN's WSOP broadcast last night. There has been speculation on here that ESPN faked the hand (a la Tony D v. Phil Hellmuth in 2003 ME). After looking at the hand on Tivo, it seems pretty clear to me that the hand was faked, and that Tommy Reed did not actually have pocket Tens.

Let's recount the action:
-David Pham open-raises with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-We see Pham throw his chips in the pot. Then we see Phil Ivey fold his hand. The the camera goes to a closeup on Tommy Reed's face.
-Then we see Reed's pocket cam. We see Reed look at T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. To the right of Reed's cards (from Reed's perspective) are two stacks (probably 20 high) of blue chips.
-We then see Reed's face, and the camera pans down to Reed playing with a blue chip. Then the camera angle changes and we see Reed playing with his chips, with his cards on the far right. There are (what looks like) two stacks of yellow chips on the left, and one stack of blue chips to the right of that. There are no chips to the right of Reed's cards.

In my opinion, the implication of this is that ESPN took footage of Reed looking at pocket Tens from another point in the tournament, and edited that footage into this hand.

One likely counterargument to this post is that the two stacks of blue chips were actually Phil Ivey's chips (since Phil was sitting to Reed's right). But if you look at the shot of Reed contemplating a call, you can see that Ivey's chips are quite far away from Reed's cards.

Kwyjibo
Old 08-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: ESPN faked Set of Tens Laydown

HOLY SH!T. YOU FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Next case: Kennedy assassination.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:36 PM

In this case, as was the case with the Tony D. vs. Hellmuth hand, the only way your implication will have merit is if the person actually speaks up and says something.

I recall a respectable poster some time in this forum earlier stating that he had talked (or heard) Tony D. say at the table that he did indeed lay down the trips. So take that for that it's worth.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Wow and then they faked Reed turning to Ivey and telling him he had folded a set of tens. They are really getting tricky
Old 08-10-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I've been a lurker on here for a while and i think that I have something to add to the discussion of Tommy Reed's laydown of a set of Tens on ESPN's WSOP broadcast last night. There has been speculation on here that ESPN faked the hand (a la Tony D v. Phil Hellmuth in 2003 ME). After looking at the hand on Tivo, it seems pretty clear to me that the hand was faked, and that Tommy Reed did not actually have pocket Tens.

-David Pham open-raises with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-We see Pham throw his chips in the pot. Then we see Phil Ivey fold his hand. The the camera goes to a closeup on Tommy Reed's face.
-Then we see Reed's pocket cam. We see Reed look at T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. To the right of Reed's cards (from Reed's perspective) are two stacks (probably 20 high) of blue chips.
-We then see Reed's face, and the camera pans down to Reed playing with a blue chip. Then the camera angle changes and we see Reed playing with his chips, with his cards on the far right. There are (what looks like) two stacks of yellow chips on the left, and one stack of blue chips to the right of that. There are no chips to the right of Reed's cards.

In my opinion, the implication of this is that ESPN took footage of Reed looking at pocket Tens from another point in the tournament, and edited that footage into this hand.

One likely counterargument to this post is that the two stacks of blue chips were actually Phil Ivey's chips (since Phil was sitting to Reed's right). But if you look at the shot of Reed contemplating a call, you can see that Ivey's chips are quite far away from Reed's cards.

Kwyjibo

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh huh....and Reed actually saying "I folded a set of 10's" after the hand was over must have been a Chris Berman voiceover right? *rolls eyes*
Old 08-10-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Kwyjibo

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I didn't see last night's episode so this might not tell the full story. But a reasonable explanation of how he had fewer blue chips after calling than before is that you have to put in chips to call.

Default Re: ESPN faked Set of Tens Laydown *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dynasty

[ QUOTE ]
Uh huh....and Reed actually saying "I folded a set of 10's" after the hand was over must have been a Chris Berman voiceover right? *rolls eyes*

[/ QUOTE ]

So is that why Phil Ivey called him "Tommy I just made the worst Reed ever"?

...From?

NOTRE DAME!

ok ok one more...

"Nobody lies down in front of the wagon and gets crushed over and over quite like Tommy Reed"
Old 08-10-2005, 07:11 PM

More evidence that ESPN faked this hand.

ESPN is a cable television network that used to show Pro Wrestling.
Pro Wrestling is Fake.
Everything ESPN shows is fake.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Brilliant!