Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Need New Sound System

My wimpy Aiwa sound system needs to be tossed out the window or shot into small pieces with a shotgun. What I need is a replacement system. I have small needs so all I want is one with reasonable speakers, 3-5 CD player, Radio, Diskette etc and these run about $200-$300 in warehouse stores. I looked at a few and Sony seems the best. These are the smaller compact systems. But I do not want one that looks like the bumper of a 1956 Cadillac. Any Ideas or suggestions? Up to $500 is about all I want to spend.

-Zeno
Old 07-17-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Need New Sound System

Do you mean a boombox or an all-in-one jobber?

When I think 'sound system', I think Denon.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:44 PM

Do you really want another mini-system that will sound like crap for 5 years and you'll have to start all over again? Do yourself a favor and start piecing together components. It can be done within your budget.

From CircuitCity.com

Onkyo 8011 Stereo reciever $140
Sony 375 5-Disc CD Player $130 (Onkyo's 6 disc is $199)
2 Bose 201 Bookshelf speakers $220 (2 Polk Monitor 40's $300 are a much better choice)

Right at $500 after tax/shipping and speaker wire but a much better sounding system that will last you longer. Personally I would increase your budget, but I've spend over $5000 on my stereo which many would say is way too much.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:01 PM

Good Points. You make sense and thanks for the recommendations. I'm searching the internet now and I'm heading out soon to check out different things and gizmos and see a movie and drink some tequila. Won't buy until the end of the month. So I have to time to make a wise choice. And I may up my spending to get better stuff ($800?).

-Zeno
Old 07-17-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Points. You make sense and thanks for the recommendations. I'm searching the internet now and I'm heading out soon to check out different things and gizmos and see a movie and drink some tequila. Won't buy until the end of the month. So I have to time to make a wise choice. And I may up my spending to get better stuff ($800?).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you care about a quality listening experience and have (and are willing to spend) the money on a better system, it would be worth your while to go to some quality stereo shops and give a few systems a listen and see what kind of system in terms of quality vs. price suits you. If you do this, bring along a few favorite CDs.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:50 AM

first is get the best speakers you can. then the best recever. all the rest is secondary in that market. plus this can be hooked to your tv for better results.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM

Can't go too far wrong on the speakers with PSB or Paradigms. Last time I looked into the Bose, I was extremely disappointed, but I guess they may have improved in the last 7 years. Electronics don't matter too much, and if you hook up digital connection between DVD player and receiver, you can buy as cheap just about as cheap a DVD player as you want without losing SOUND quality. Some places to look at:

www.soundandvisionmag.com - Sound & Vision Magazine, formerly stereo review
www.hometheatermag.com - Home Theater Magazine
www.audioreview.com - user reviews of many AV products, like epinions.com
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb - forum full of AV geeks
Old 07-18-2005, 02:06 AM

Zeno. First of all there is no need for a CD player. Spend the money and get a firefly remote and then use your computer.

Use audacity (free) to compress music into high quality MP3's. You can set up the compression so their is no loss in sound quality. I haven't used a CD in years. You can also set up your computer to produce much better quality sound than any sub $1000 CD player will produce.

The polk recomendations were good. You will probably want to add a sub later. Modular systems are nice because you can always upgrade. Those bookshelves will make nice satellites if you ever want to make a movie theater.

Stay away from Bose. Bose is crap. I can not stress this enough.

Onkyo is not a bad choice for a receiver. For the low end almost all of the experts I know are huge fans of Yamaha.

If you watch movies at all Zeno a good system will make a huge difference in the movie experience.

I'm busy now. Increasing the price range to $800 is NOT A BAD IDEA. Tell me what you listen to most. Is it for classical? Rock? Is it for movies? All of the above? What kind of room is it going in? (footage of room)

Seriously Zeno, trash the CD player. If you have a computer there is no need. AND STAY AWAY FROM BOSE IT'S CRAP!!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 AM

http://www.snapstream.com/Products/firefly/

Trust me on this one Zeno when I say don't rush out and just buy anything right away. I can give you a crapload of invaluable advice. I know home audio well.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb - forum full of AV geeks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only link you really need. I've been a member here for years. I'll be happy to post your request when you give me more details.