Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which loss is worse?
Portman 11 29.73%
Lohan 26 70.27%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: I just did something really dumb

My bread and butter game is 10:20 so our limits are not as far apart as you would imagine. Just as an aside reading your post reminded me of something kind of important.

When you go to Las Vegas as opposed to playing with the same group of people all of the time you are at a huge disadvantage. If someone new sits in on your regular game you can have him pegged in about 15 minutes. Then you can make stratagy changes to reflex the interactions now present at the table.

When you sit at a table where you dont know anyone it can take many hours to get everyone pegged. In all probability by the time you get the table pegged they will change. I cant say for you but I know for me playing at a table where everyone in unfamiliar to me and they are familiar to each other is about a -0.6BB per hour situation compared with people of their same skill level who I am familiar with.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 PM

Hi Warren,

Let's pretend that you're looking for a gun fight, and your better than most, but nowhere near better than the best.
Would you ever accept a challenge from the best? The graveyards are full of those that did.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:04 PM

Great point Warren,
I never really though about it like that. I usually focus on the player I already have pegged when I am in the hand. That is definitely a flaw in my game. When I play against strangers I usually peg the extremes (the rock and the maniac) and adjust well to them. It is the “in the middle” players I have a hard time with. I am sure that this is just one of a few reasons why I don’t win more consistently. You also bring up another flaw…..record keeping. You must keep detailed records to know that you are -.06BB in that situation. Do you use a spread sheet in excel? Thanks for the tips! (I was hoping that posting on here would be a good thing).[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]