Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 01:17 AM

Default WTF is so hard about 3/6?

I'm sorry guys, but this is getting ridiculous...

I've now got well over 20,000 hands in at this level, and I'm just above even (but some 2/4 play has offset the 3/6 losses by a few hundred bucks, so I'm probably down a tiny bit at 3/6).

After two and a half weeks, I'm still down about 250BB from my high at 3/6. A few days ago, I moved back down to 2/4, thinking I would just lay low during what seemed to be a major downswing, in terms of both BB and duration.

At 2/4, although I wasn't winning at the level I was used to, I was STILL winning, pretty much immediately. Having regained my confidence, I threw down at 3/6 again tonight, figuring play would be softer on the weekend.

Just like before I moved back to 2/4, I just sit there and fold, fold and fold hands to raises that I would be able to limp in with at 2/4 in MP/LP (KQo/AQo/KJo/AJo/smaller pocket pairs, etc.), or hands that are just plain crap to begin with. I rarely see a free flop from the BB (maybe 1 in 10).

At 2/4 and below, the Party stats would show me that I was seeing an average of 20% of the flops, give or take, while at 3/6 I'm around 16%, which I consider to be a drastic difference (many of you say I'm too tight to begin with).

When a hand is playable, I get absolutely no action when I hit something (I have to laugh at that while I go insane inside my noggin). The suckouts I'm used to, but that isn't really a problem at 3/6, although given my current state of affairs, they do sting a little.

I'm at my witz end here fellas (and pretty ladies), what is so freakin' different here? Is there a lot more pure bluffing (hands rarely go to showdown enough for me to tell)? Do I have to work on that? I semi-bluff whenever the time is right, but what about pure bluffs?

What about starting hand selection? Is it profitable to begin playing QTo/Ax, etc. from MP/LP with one limper?

It's hard to find a table with more than 3 people seeing the flop on average, so my table selection must suck. I basically sort by pot size and keep trying to get in the big ones that have seats available. I NEVER get on a waiting list, because I figure once I get in the table will be filled with sharks.

Also, I'm not playing with scared money, and since my previous post where some of my dirty laundry was aired, I sincerely believe I have plugged some leaks aggression-wise (although a few of the hands were just a result of getting hammered down 200+BB over a week and a half or so).

I am open to any and all advice, because I seriously want to improve here. Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Re: WTF is so hard about 3/6?

I find $3/$6 much tougher as well but not overly tough or unbeatable.

I think table selection really matters here.

Build your fish list and if you cant find a decent game then play some $2/$4.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:38 AM

Yeah I was planning on playing 2/4 during the weekdays and 3/6 during nights/weekends, but that hasn't seemed to help.

I don't have a huge phishlist, but from what I do have, the few that are ever online tend to be at tables with long waiting lists lol.

What are good table selection strategies? I wish the Party skins showed average seeing flop in the tables menu like Stars does.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:45 AM

Just to let you know - I'm experiencing the same problem with the jump from 1/2 to 2/4. I was a consistently 3+ BB/100 over 20k hands at .5/1 and 1/2, yet over 20-25k hands at 2/4, I'm showing a BB/100 under 1. I think sometimes it takes time to adapt to a certain limit - and that's what we're both experiencing.

Alex
Old 11-14-2004, 01:47 AM

Hopefully man... best of luck to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2004, 01:49 AM

Do you add people with 60% VPIP or just the 80+ guys.

I usually find that a 60+ and maybe a 40+ is usually good enough.

The good players usually all go to the 80+ guy so you get no limpers in those games.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:59 AM

I think the average on my list is about 50%, plus a few maniacs.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:32 AM

3/6 has more tight and aggressive players than 2/4. You need to learn who at the table is who, and identify who the crap players are. At 2/4 there is a much higher proportion of bad players to good ones. It's no surprise you're finding it different.

I recommend you learn to play tighter poker than you're used to, and then loosen up after.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend you learn to play tighter poker than you're used to, and then loosen up after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tighter than seeing the flop 16% of the time (per Party stats)? I haven't yet filtered PT, but I would figure that to be a VP$IP of 12-13%. Seems pretty tight.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:46 AM

my VPIP at party 3/6 is only about 13.5%...at 2/4 it was around 16 or so...