Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Ingredients of a solid player.

Hey everybody...

I really value the insight and advice from this forum. This question is a little more subjective, and I'd be interested in your thoughts.

What are the most important skills/traits/aspects/abilities a solid player must have?

Thanks for your insights.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Ingredients of a solid player.

I would say:

1. DISCIPLINE: They must maintain self-control. The amazing highs and terrible lows that can hit you in poker can really take a toll on a person, turn you into mister mood swings. I don't know how many times I've been chip leader and thought "I'm a shoe-in for the money, this is great!" and then I finish one spot out of the money. Whether I wound up playing poorly because of my high about being chip leader, or whether I got unlucky is something I need to examine further.

You also need to try and avoid tilting as much as possible. You lose 100 bucks at the 1-5 tables and then you start chasing by moving UP limits to try and make your money back faster. You need to be able to fold and fold and fold and wait for playable hands.

2. KNOWLEDGE: You need to know the odds and be able to calculate pot odds and hand odds to determine what may be the most profitable play.

3. ATTENTION: You must pay attention to your opponents, to the cards that have come out (especially in games like stud) and pay attention to yourself. Remember what you've done, how you've done it and how others reacted to it.

4. NO FEAR: You have to be willing to die in order to live. You must be capable of taking risks, calculated risks, but risks nonetheless. They can be crucial in tournaments.

5. BE HUMBLE: Don't go running around like a Phil Helmuthian idiot claiming that there's no way you could possibly play better poker, chastise bad players for stupid hands that get lucky, etc.

You WANT idiots to play bad odds against you. Yes, they WILL suck you out, especially if you play a lot. But in the long-run you're going to come out ahead. Be glad there are idiots who play K/2, Q/4 and J/5 like it's gold. And always remember, you can ALWAYS improve your game and you can always learn more, the learning NEVER ends.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:33 AM

fearlessness and controlled agression
Old 11-09-2004, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. NO FEAR: You have to be willing to die in order to live. You must be capable of taking risks, calculated risks, but risks nonetheless. They can be crucial in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would include a strong bankroll as a part of "No Fear". You've got to be able to exploit your advantages at every opportunity and you can't do that on short money. A very healthy bankroll will allow you to endure the days when you lose every big hand so that you can come out firing the next time you play.

King
Old 11-09-2004, 06:37 AM

Patience